Why Nothing Gets Done......

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Rained off and on all day. I had a meeting with the board of directors for the Puericulture Center which is the free standing birthing center I am renovating. Mostly discussed 'snacks' and I can now see why they can not get anything done!This place has been here for 90 years this month and since the hospital was built and then the health department expanded to cover OB, the Puericulture Center was abandoned by the government and now has to support itself. The Board is made up of 3 MDs, a nurse or two and the rest are well known local women. Not one has any business training or any idea on how to run a facility.They recently started to take the national health insurance, Philhealth, but do not know how to fill out the paperwork so of course it is returned to be filled out again. I suggested they hire for 2-3 hrs the billing clerk of the local hospital who should know how to complete the claim forms and she can teach the employees of the center. No need to hire her! She is a relative! She will be glad to show them... Since they now take the insurance and although it is a slow pay, it does pay. So I am working to train and expand the center to handle more than just OB cases and start moving to be a more primary care facility. I suggested they get the list of what Philhealth pays for and how much and then start to offer services that are covered so they will greatly expand their income with out spending much money as they already pay the staff that sits around most of the time. See the picture. I am the one in the green shirt...... post-404-0-40618100-1328623107_thumb.jpg

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hi Bruce,You missed the most important part. What snacks are they planning to serve?There is an American way. There is a Filipino way. The relative is always selected first irregardless whether or not there is someone else who is more competent. The societal purpose is to establish a complex system of favors and obligations. Unbelievable as it may seem to a Westerner, the relative who was asked to volunteer and help train others in billing procedures is the person who is indebted. The reason is her standing within the community increases. If she receives any compensation for helping, her sense of debt to the relative who made the recommendation is even higher.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Hi Bruce,You missed the most important part. What snacks are they planning to serve?There is an American way. There is a Filipino way. The relative is always selected first irregardless whether or not there is someone else who is more competent. The societal purpose is to establish a complex system of favors and obligations. Unbelievable as it may seem to a Westerner, the relative who was asked to volunteer and help train others in billing procedures is the person who is indebted. The reason is her standing within the community increases. If she receives any compensation for helping, her sense of debt to the relative who made the recommendation is even higher.
So since Tom Sawyer was able to get a bunch of friends to paint the fence for him, they owe him? Now that's a concept that's hard for the western mind to comprehend but I think I understand better by your explanation!

Bruce
Posted
Posted
So since Tom Sawyer was able to get a bunch of friends to paint the fence for him, they owe him? Now that's a concept that's hard for the western mind to comprehend but I think I understand better by your explanation!
In the Philippines, Tom Sawyer would actually be providing an 'OJT' experience! Now.... If I can just get this logic applied to the GRO community and I be Tom Sawyer............. THINK! There MUST be a way! How can I do this??????
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
In the Philippines, Tom Sawyer would actually be providing an 'OJT' experience! Now.... If I can just get this logic applied to the GRO community and I be Tom Sawyer............. THINK! There MUST be a way! How can I do this??????
Hmmm.... Wouldn't it be easier to think of what to use for paint? :hystery: