When You're Sued?

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

This topic isn't specific to foreigners, but it's news I heard today.The hardware we owe 40,000 pesos to from when we built our house a year ago is thinking to sue us now, maybe today. My wife was pretty worried about it because it could affect her ability to immigrate to Canada (something related to the criminal background check?). I told her it's not a crime to be poor.Anyways, what happened is that when we built the house, everyone quoted a really low price to me for how much it would cost. But, as everyone knows, that's how they hook you. The house took a lot longer, a lot more money, and eventually was a lot bigger than we had planned it.I came to Taiwan a year ago to make money teaching English to support the family, but it was really slow getting work the first six months. Over the last six months I've been able to piece together enough work that I'm making really good money, but then we've had to spend a lot on other things that were unexpected.Now, however, I'm finally clear to focus on paying my debts and I'm hoping the hardware will accept an April 21st date for me to pay them back in full. I have a few other people I've already promised to pay in February and March, and I just paid her friend, our guarantor, in January.To GET TO THE POINT!!!! what happens if you get sued like this for having still not paid a bill? What are the consequences?

Edited by ekimswish

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I don't know the consequences but if it was me I would not leave it to the last minute to sort it out,I know you say that hopefully they will accept an April date but try to give them something now to show you are genuine.Is the bill or account in your name or your wife's?I know the last owner of the Silver Dollar was getting sued for non payment and it was even published in the news paper.Don't know the outcome but he sold the place and probably paid what he owed except for the staff.

• Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

She said April is okay.... The problem is, I'm always scrapping by pay day to pay day after putting all my money into existing debts. When something like this comes up, it's a pain in the butt.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
To GET TO THE POINT!!!! what happens if you get sued like this for having still not paid a bill? What are the consequences?
I was hoping someone would answer with direct personal experience as I would like to know too. My experience is the other way, as in being part of a group who tried to sue a Philippine citizen for not paying. It seemed like more trouble for the person suing than for the one getting sued.

dean01
Posted
Posted

The only thing I know is unless you have a contract you can only send a letter of demand. It can no go any further than the 2 parties. They may get a summons for you both to meet the local brg. I would only worry If the other party has family contacts. For the 200 peso I would ask a local lawyer they would know the best way to handle it.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

IMHO, it won't. A foreigner has a snowballs chance in H - E - Double hockey sticks of ever getting a Filipino citizen to court and if they do, will never win. The culture will never allow a citizen to ever lose face to a foreigner even if the foreigner is in the right. Never happen. Remember, we have absolutely no rights here and our only remedy here is to get on the plane and leave. Sucks but true.

• Like 2