Culture Clash. "the Kano Effect" Experiances

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Curious what other guys thought during their first visit to Philippines or when way out in da Providence and you have become the "big show"?This topic suggested by KanoJoe. :mocking:

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I became the primary supplier of 3 peso ice cream cones to the neighborhood kids. I, however, refused to become the primary supplier of beer to their parents. Which meant I was far less popular with the adults. So it goes.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your heart felt post Salty Dog. You have done well sir!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

May the rest of us who haven't joined our significant others yet be as fortunate as you! My hat is off to you sir!

Curley
Posted
Posted

Are her sisters the same?

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A wise man once told me that, if I wanted to find true love and with a woman I will always be proud of, to look to the Philippines for a woman who lives far away from the cities and towns... Since it was in a dream, I guess that was me!!! :mocking:

• Like 1

Salty Dog
Posted
Posted
Are her sisters the same?
Not anything alike. They both got married young and had children right away. Bing is 30 and has been on here own pretty much since she was 18.

Americano
Posted
Posted

My wife grew up in the northern mountains of Mindanao. Her family was very poor. They didn't even have sandals or flip flops to wear and couldn't eat rice because it was too expensive. They grew and ate corn instead of rice, At 6 years old she started climbing coconut, mango and other trees for food. She often wore her father's T-shirts and didn't have any panties. She didn't have soap to wash or shampoo for her tangled hair. Due to working so hard to find food, she could only go to school one or two days per week but still graduated high school. At 15 she went to work in a mall in Ozamiz City as the mall announcer so she was forced to learn to speak English. At 15, 16 and 17 she was working full time in the mall and going to school one or two days per week. She was already the bread winner for the family. At 19 she got a job in a mall in Manila and continued to be the bread winner by sending most of her salary home to her parents. At 21 she met me and her days of very hard work and worries ended, but she hasn't forgotten the hard life she had and others are experiencing now.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What a great story. Few of us from the West know what real need or hunger is like.Your wife is a strong woman who will be a good life partner. :grouphugg:

• Like 1