Sheep Or Ship

chimellie
Posted
Posted

My wife told me there's a "sheep" got pirated . I asked her how did the sheep get to the sea ? SugarwareZ-011.gif She's got ship and sheep mixed up in pronounciation. Does you wife/girlfriend have the same problem ?This morning I was telling her about the beach front property in Panglao and she said " The bitch is dirty there ". :SugarwareZ-037:

aerosick
Posted
Posted

Ask her when was the last time she changed your bedding. You'll know that she is talking about your side of the bed... :36_1_68[1]:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
My wife told me there's a "sheep" got pirated . I asked her how did the sheep get to the sea ? SugarwareZ-011.gif She's got ship and sheep mixed up in pronounciation. Does you wife/girlfriend have the same problem ?This morning I was telling her about the beach front property in Panglao and she said " The bitch is dirty there ". :36_1_68[1]:
Maybe the bitch is dirty there, hope I get to meet her SugarwareZ-225.gif The one thing that gets mixed up the most is the His-Her word for my wifeTom

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hummmm ..... must be hereditary ........ as I sleep on sh*ts too ....... there are more but I can't think of them right now ...... but it is no worse than me trying to speak Tagalog .......

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Try asking them to say fish, that is always fun. My wife can say fisherman perfect but often has problems saying fish, weird.Now, I was wondering if some of the other guys who travel back and forth to the Philippines with their wiife have the same problem as I do? It seems that when we are in the US my wife speaks pretty good English and I understand not only her words but her meanings, but almost the day we touch down in the Philippines all that changes and we seem to almost immediately have a failure to communicate, and I often think I must be going crazy because when we land in the Philippines, somehow or someway someone throws a switch and almost all she learned while living in the states seems to disappear. I think part of this is that she is then thinking in her own language and when in the states she is thinking in English, but it sure aggravates me because not only her pronunciation gets worse but her whole thought process changes and it drives me nuts. Not that I have far to go :36_1_68[1]: to be nuts, but it sure makes it worse. :any-help:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OK ... how about this one ..... they say deek (yea guys ... ya got one ..... two if your name is Dick) ..... but not sheet ..... and the funny part of all this is I'm starting to speak Filipino English ...... :36_1_68[1]:

• 1 year later...
trex
Posted
Posted

it is common among filipinos to speak differently on different instances. Usually when they are in conversation with people who does not speak good english they tend to speak the way the people around them speaks i.e. broken english. But when they are in the company of those english speaking people they often utter the sentences correctly and sometimes with a slang. That is one of the amazing traits of a filipino that is he/she can easily adapt to different situations and for this instance language.

Try asking them to say fish, that is always fun. My wife can say fisherman perfect but often has problems saying fish, weird.Now, I was wondering if some of the other guys who travel back and forth to the Philippines with their wiife have the same problem as I do? It seems that when we are in the US my wife speaks pretty good English and I understand not only her words but her meanings, but almost the day we touch down in the Philippines all that changes and we seem to almost immediately have a failure to communicate, and I often think I must be going crazy because when we land in the Philippines, somehow or someway someone throws a switch and almost all she learned while living in the states seems to disappear. I think part of this is that she is then thinking in her own language and when in the states she is thinking in English, but it sure aggravates me because not only her pronunciation gets worse but her whole thought process changes and it drives me nuts. Not that I have far to go 36_6_3[1].gif to be nuts, but it sure makes it worse. any-help.gif

Mik
Posted
Posted

Sweety or Sweaty?.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
it is common among filipinos to speak differently on different instances. Usually when they are in conversation with people who does not speak good english they tend to speak the way the people around them speaks i.e. broken english. But when they are in the company of those english speaking people they often utter the sentences correctly and sometimes with a slang. That is one of the amazing traits of a filipino that is he/she can easily adapt to different situations and for this instance language.
Welcome trex to the forum. I am just happy when many of the shy Filipinos talk to me and I always try to get them to talk. Some of my nieces asked everyone to leave the room so they could talk to me because it seems other Filipinos will often make fun of them when they do the best they can and it is not perfect and they know that I would never make fun of them and I am just happy that they try.But my wife is still a dilemma for me and I can never understand why an educated person who has lived in the states would change totally upon setting down in the Philippines but I think it might be because she starts to think in Cebuano instead of English while we are there. I know when she first got to the states, she thought in Cebuano and translated in her head but after a while she started thinking in English and all is then OK. I guess somehow or someway she has to switch when we are in the Philippines and it becomes very frustrating for me because her accent changes and I have a harder time understanding her. I guess it is really my problem and not hers because I have not learned enough of her language to fully understand all conversations or even speak well but at least I do know what is going on around me and that really helps at times. I find it very interesting to listen to my wife speak to her sister who lives in San Pablos Laguna, because they start out in mixed English Cebuano since her sister originally grew up in Mindanao and Cebu and then slowly the accent changes and my wife switches to Tagalog and after maybe ten minutes they are speaking total Tagalog and have left me totally off the chart since I only know a small amount of words in Tagalog but can pick up the accent change right away. Life is a real experience when we travel around the Philippines. :541:

Bundok
Posted
Posted

Taw the tikin as in thaw the chicken.No doz as in noodles.Chip or ship?There are more but I'm not going to push my luck.She has successfully passed English 101...