Scabies

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

My wife told me on the phone today that her and our two year old daughter have scabies. I looked it up online and the stuff seems nasty. I'm sending extra money tomorrow for her to go to the doctor and get meds, but this stuff is extreme from the read of it.Living in the Philippines is one sickness after another for my family. It is NOT worth it.Anyone have any scabies advice?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

No sorry never had them .... but it is not a Philippines thing only as it is also found in school children in the US as well and can be pretty contagious ...... just like head lice ..... I had them when I was a kid in the US ...... kids going to school can transmit all kinds of stuff fairly quickly .......Maybe Bruce can help .......

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Scabies is just a skin infection caused my a mite. There are various creams that are used to "cure" it but some doctors tell you to put it all over your body and others tell you only the affected area. And sometimes - in extreme cases - the doctor may opt for an oral treatment. Make sure your wife washes all their clothes, sheets and pillow cases, towels, etc thoroughly and vacuum (?) or sweep and wash the floors well. And, yes, scabies are found all around the world and on all different ages!I'm not a doctor though I was often called Dr Bob by many of my friends due to my work with the Spina Bifida Association. It is probably best to at minimum check with your local pharmacist if not the doctor. Or ask Bruce!

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Don't need a doc. Go to the pharmacy and ask for Kwell or their recommended cure. Follow the advice about washing in post above. Not really a big deal if caught early on.No longer recommended, but kerosene / diesel fuel also works, diluted in cooking oil......

Mike S
Posted
Posted

So Bruce you use the same thing for scabies that you use for head lice ..... Kwell ..... I didn't know that ..... learn something new every day .... thanks :) :thumbsup:

Bruce
Posted
Posted
So Bruce you use the same thing for scabies that you use for head lice ..... Kwell ..... I didn't know that ..... learn something new every day .... thanks :) :thumbsup:
But for Phthirus Pubis (crabs) here is a tried and true olde tyme WW1 method to cure them. 1. Shave left side of 'area'. 2. douse right side with lighter fluid (no, NOT butane!) 3. set right side on fire. 4. take ice pick and stab the crabs as they crawl over to the left side!
  • Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Yeah, that came out wrong when I blamed scabies on the Philippines. I'm just feeling frustrated that it's one sickness after another the whole time they've been there, and it's always a thousand pesos for meds, usually just a week before payday, when their budget is getting tighter as well.Aside from constant fevers and coughs, they had some nasty skin infection earlier last year which was horrible to look at. We think that came from the water. It appears they had another skin infection or the same one six months ago, but to a lesser degree, just on the hand and foot. Then lice a month or so ago. Every time i visit I find out about another sickness they had which my wife never told me about. The lice I found out about when I came home and noticed when I touched their heads, they were all scabby (from scratching). My wife said she didn't tell me because she handled it on her own and didn't want me to worry about money and stuff. I got pissed because anytime my kids are suffering from something, I want to know about it.Is there any way their recent lice could be related to these scabies (assuming it's actually scabies they have - went to the doctor today but I ran out of phone load to ask about it)?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Different but both cause itching and affect the skin. A lot of health issues chan be stopped before they get too bad. it is just one of the delights of life in the tropics. Closer monitoring is the key. A light rub down with alcohol at bed time can prevent some things. Cost effective. Attitude is a lot.