Bruce's Ark! Well... Maybe Not.....

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a standard fishing boat here that I paid to have built a year ago. About 12,000p + engine 4,500p. It supports 2 families. I am expanding some by buying 2 different nets and assorted gear to see if it can be more productive. I have not made any money off it, as it was not my purpose. I have been offered fish any time I want it... but I tend to like my fish either in a McDo's or out of a box that says White Cod..... Here are pictures of similar boats to mine (18' long), which is based in an out of the way fishing village.post-404-0-54548500-1330316711_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-21679900-1330316730_thumb.jpgSo I got the bright idea that the locals build these little boats because they are easy to build, cheap to build and fit the purpose. Based on Kano logic that 'bigger is better'. I came up with a design that should work here. 30 years ago, I lived on a boat and worked on boats enought so that I have an idea on what I wanted.Out 'here', the farthest distance to any island is about 1 mile out. So at the widest area that most boats go, if you were in the middle, it would be about 1 mile to each side before you are on land. Most time it is less than 500 meters. Most all local boats travel at less than 15 mph, with the majority less than 10mph. Since speed and white water is not a big concern and fishing is the purpose, I designed a plywood, flat bottom boat that will be coated in fibergalss from Manila via the bus. I have 2 carpenters who speak 10 word of English between them, but are very good at what they do, all hand fitted, no (NO) powertools.I drew it out and then I went to youtube and found a video on a similar wood boat being made. Took over an hour here to download a 22 min video! The guys watched it and were amazed that the workshop with all the clamps and tools within reach. I thought they had a good idea on what I wanted... but I was wrong! (yes again) I will have a nice working boat when done, but my idea of a Boston Whaler bow that glides over the water somehow got lost in the translation and I have the front end of a 1960's speed boat. Which will work out OK....I will have a 16 hp engine. Gave the boys the choice of a unknown diesel brand (26,500p) or a Honda gas engine (29,000p), both 16hp. They have no idea, but gas exhaust smells better than diesel exhaust they said! I also will have a 850 watt gas generator to run the fishing lights (6,000p) so I guess the Honda is the better choice as I (they) will not have to carry diesel and gas. The original boat is being well cared for and I have no reason to expect this new boat will not be cared for either. With it's design and engine size, it should be able to handle a much larger net and support more people. It will have a small plywood dog house and a ice well under the deck for keeping the fish fresher. Both some what of an unheard of luxury here in this part of the Philippines. post-404-0-55825400-1330317827_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-74916100-1330317845_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I"ll have to get pics when it's finished to send back to my friends in Nova Scotia... Let them see what a real Boston Whaler looks like... :89: :3_8_14[1]: :hystery:I have to admit.... I am intrigued by a B Whaler with a speedboat front end!

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Here are the latest pics of the boat.post-404-0-56547200-1330679525_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-99913200-1330679552_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-72579900-1330679572_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-78094800-1330679593_thumb.jpg

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Looking good Bruce! How fast do you think she'll go with an iron sail and that speedboat front end? 25? 30 knots? Is that what they call a flat-bottom deep-V? :dance: :mocking: :thumbsup: