Weird Advertising In The Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Weird advertising in the PhilippinesIs it me, or do others find the advertising here in the Philippines weird also? I often think I must be going nuts! :wacko: I see TV, newspaper and even billboards with ads with a big spread of the name of something, but nothing about where it is, how to contact them, what they do or have, or even what it is, and I keep thinking that I must be the one who is missing something or that Filipinos have some special power to read something that is not there????Why do these people spend the money for ads like that? Maybe they just like seeing their names up in print or on TV? :rolleyes:

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Weird advertising in the PhilippinesIs it me, or do others find the advertising here in the Philippines weird also? I often think I must be going nuts! :wacko: I see TV, newspaper and even billboards with ads with a big spread of the name of something, but nothing about where it is, how to contact them, what they do or have, or even what it is, and I keep thinking that I must be the one who is missing something or that Filipinos have some special power to read something that is not there????Why do these people spend the money for ads like that? Maybe they just like seeing their names up in print or on TV? :kidding:
I've noticed that when there are families in TV ads, the ideal family size is five with 3 kids and 2 adults. In US advertising the ideal family size is four with 2 kids and 2 adults. In general, Filipino advertising makes a blatant emotional appeal. Most ads basically say 'use our product and you'll be smiling and happy like these people' or 'use our product and you'll be beautiful like these beautiful white people'. In the US advertising tends to tell a story. Sometimes it's a joke, sometimes its a mini-drama in 30 seconds. There is much less appeal to emotion in US advertising.