Philippine Economy To Grow Over 5% This Year

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-185028636.htmlMANILA, Philippines - The Philippine economy may grow by more than five percent this year and finally beat the lower end of the government’s five percent to six percent forecast range for 2012, an economic manager said yesterday.Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Cayetano Paderanga Jr. said growth this year would be significantly better than last year on the back of government plans to boost spending.“We’re hoping it could be higher than five percent,” he told reporters on the sidelines of an investment forum yesterday.He said that because of government efforts to boost spending, the chances of achieving higher economic growth rate are better this year compared to 2011.“We know that we will be spending more in infrastructure. Budget spending this year will be much more efficient than last year,” he said.To boost spending this year, the Aquino administration has allocated P19.6 billion in counterpart funds for the government’s Public-Private Partnership (PPP) program.This is higher than last year’s P12.5-billion counterpart budget. Of the P19.6-billion allocation, P8.6 billion will be given to the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) to shore up PPP initiatives under its wing.A total of P6.6 billion of the DOTC’s total budget will be used to implement six PPP projects such as development programs for the Panglao Airport in Bohol, the Puerto Princesa Airport in Palawan, and the New Legazpi Airport in Albay.When asked if he supports the Department of Trade’s six to seven percent economic growth projection for the year, Paderanga said, “I would like to agree with that.”According to the latest data from the National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB), the Philippine economy grew by only 3.7 percent last year, failing to hit even the lower end of the revised target range of 4.5 percent to 5.5 percent for 2011.The lackluster growth is much slower than the 7.6 percent gross domestic product (GDP) expansion recorded in 2010, NSCB data also showed.Government officials blamed the crisis in the United States and in the Eurozone, saying this affected export revenues.However, for this year, Paderanga said that exports are likely to recover along with the recovery of the United States economy.“It looks like the US has already turned the corner,” Paderanga said.He also said public construction would be a major driver of growth for 2012.By Iris C. Gonzales (Philstar News Service, www.philstar.com)

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Did the Philippines economy grew? Did the filipino employee of 12000p/month got any better life? I think totally the opposite.To my simple understanding when the economy grows the living of the people grows too, i see the opposite here.No doubt money flows in the country, no doubt OFW send even their last penny to help their families copy with the ever rising prices so more money coming in.Mining is doing good with more Canadian and French companies digging out and exploit the country's natural wealth. Oil has lots of prespectives with more oil companies having interest on the waters off Palawan. Construction and housing is doing good by selling the dream of condo living, a sardines packed scheme in a really nice wrapped package.Pawnshops are thrieving (i am thinking on one if my wife could ever run it), public lottery is thrieving, prostitution is thrieving.Cars and bikes sales are boosted up to the top, banks keep on reposessing them, houses and lots vanish from the people when a slight misfortune happens and cannot pay more than 3 consequtive payments.Mercy!!! Which economy grew????

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Reading the post above, it amazes me that some people see only misery and poverty and yet continue to live in Philippines. However, Joe did mention mining and I noticed this article in the news today:With untapped mineral wealth worth more than $840 billion, the Philippines is “one of the world’s most highly mineralized countries,” according to a US Department of State report on the Philippine economy.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Reading the post above, it amazes me that some people see only misery and poverty and yet continue to live in Philippines
It shouldn't really amaze anyone, because poverty and misery goes hand in hand and it has been that way in the Philippines for a long long time now and other poor countries, but most are in the developing stages for the better which we may not see or experience in our lifetime!