Microsoft Unveils Windows 8 For Public Test

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-051718375.htmlSEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp unveils the first widely available test version of Windows 8 on Wednesday, giving the public the first chance to try out the slick, new-look operating system it hopes will restore the company's fading tech supremacy.Windows 8, as the first Microsoft operating system compatible with low-power microprocessors designed by ARM Holdings Plc, will run on tablets as well as desktops and laptops."The operating system has begun to be seen as largely irrelevant," said Sid Parakh, an analyst at fund firm McAdams Wright Ragen, which holds Microsoft shares. "This is the release that will have to prove its relevance all over again."Tablets and smartphones and cloud computing have made Bill Gates' vision of "a computer on every desk and in every home" seem quaint, and Apple Inc and Google Inc and Amazon.com now set the agenda for the computing industry.Still, all of those companies' fancy new hardware devices need basic operating software, and Microsoft is betting there is still more than a little room for Windows."The big increment here is that it'll be viable on the ARM platform, that there'll be a tablet form factor -- that kind of makes it a big deal," said Dan Hanson, a portfolio manager at BlackRock, which holds 5 percent of Microsoft's shares through various funds. "Microsoft correctly identified the relevance of the tablet form factor over a decade ago. This operating system may allow them to finally execute."THE PRODUCTWindows 8 will come in two main flavors -- one that works on the traditional x86 chips made by Intel Corp for desktops and laptops, and a new version for the ARM microprocessors that have become the standard for tablets, smartphones and other portable devices.Microsoft says it is aiming to get machines running on both the ARM and Intel platforms into the market at the same time but has not set a target date.In both versions, Windows 8 features a completely new interface, borrowed from what Microsoft calls the "Metro" style of the current Windows Phone software. It features blocks or 'tiles' that can be moved around the screen or tapped to go straight into an application.The tiles update in real time, so you can see if you have emails, voice messages or Facebook notifications at a glance. If PC and laptop users do not like the new format, they can revert to the old style with a click of the mouse.The key for any operating software -- be it Apple's iOS for iPhones and iPads, Google's Android software for smartphones, or Windows -- is to attract the support of the software developers who build applications, and on that score Windows 8 is off to a decent start."The biggest hurdle our designers have had is trying to get inside the mood of a Metro user, where less is more," said Paul Murphy, business development manager at Aviary, which makes a photo editing tool that can be integrated into iOS and Android apps. "That was and still is a challenge, but I think now that they've been at it for a couple of months, they actually really like it. They appreciate the simplicity of the design."Developers who have already created apps for Microsoft's Windows Phone are finding it easier to adapt to Windows 8, said Ryan Lowdermilk, who hosts a popular podcast for apps builders."Porting your code over, people are finding that to be pretty straightforward. But as far as finishing that last mile where some of this newer technology for Windows 8 comes into play, they are finding little hiccups and bugs here and there."WINDOWS + OFFICE = $The Windows 8 release has to be good, and soon, say industry experts."Now that the tablet market is being defined by the iPad and the (Amazon) Kindle, if they come out with a buggy first version, they won't get a second chance," said Michael Cherry, a former Microsoft engineer who now works at independent research firm Directions on Microsoft. "They can't afford to disappoint customers."Microsoft has not put a timetable on the final release, but Windows unit head Steven Sinofsky has said new versions of Windows should be no more than three years apart, which would put a Windows 8 debut around October 2012.The public will get its first good look at Windows 8 on Wednesday, when Sinofsky launches the "Consumer Preview" at an event in Barcelona. Everybody will be able to download a test version of Windows 8 that will run on PCs and laptops based on Intel chips. But they won't get to try out Windows 8 on an ARM tablet until later this year.Initial buyers for Windows tablets are expected to be consumers, as most business users have not yet even moved onto Windows 7. But the long-term success of Windows 8 will depend on Microsoft's core business customers.A Windows tablet that works seamlessly with Microsoft's Exchange email system and Office applications would be a godsend for corporate technology managers, who have been bending over backward to put their CEO's iPads -- "executive jewelry," as one analyst puts it -- onto their company's email and security systems.Microsoft's killer punch is Office. After months of silence, Sinofsky confirmed earlier this month that the world's most popular suite of work applications, including the newest versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint, will come installed on tablets running the ARM version of Windows. That's a big and potentially risky departure for Microsoft, which has in the past sold Office separately.They will not be in the new "Metro" style, but they will be optimized for touch. That would give Windows tablets a unique selling point over iPads and Android tablets.HIGH STAKESEven a wildly successful Windows 8 might be less profitable for Microsoft than its predecessors, simply because the company won't be able to charge nearly as much for software that runs a $400 tablet than it could for software running a $1,500 PC.The Windows unit averages about $80 per PC sold now, but will likely get half that from tablets, Sanford C. Bernstein analysts estimate. Wall Street is expecting a bump in Windows sales for at least 12 months after the release, fueled by consumer demand for tablets but does not foresee a spike matching the hot-selling Windows 7.Analysts are estimating a 12 percent jump in Microsoft's earnings per share for each of the next two fiscal years, which is better than the flat expectations for this year, marred by lackluster PC sales.But it is not exceptional for a company that posted nearly 30 percent increases in earnings per share for the last two fiscal years. Gross profit margins, while still comparatively high, are expected to drift slightly lower.Several analysts have recently raised their outlook for next year's earnings, helping the stock rise to a four-year high on Tuesday, partly buoyed by building interest in Windows 8."The next four to six quarters will be extremely important for Microsoft," said Parakh at McAdams Wright Ragen. "They have to prove they too have a competitive product, not just on traditional desktop PCs and laptops but on the tablet and even phones. And this is their chance."(Reporting By Bill Rigby)

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-103806920.htmlAs it prepares to release its consumer preview release of Windows 8, Microsoft may "kill" two of its consumer brands and integrate them into its upcoming flagship operating system, a tech site reported.Tech site The Verge said "Windows Live" and "Zune" will be dropped and their functions integrated into other aspects of Windows 8."Whether Windows Live and Zune are fully killed off by the end of the year remains to be seen, but Windows 8 is clearly taking the first big steps toward the inevitable".It said "Windows Live" will be rolled into preinstalled apps at the core of "Windows Communications" in Windows 8.The Windows Live ID will be replaced by "Microsoft Account" in Windows 8, it added.On the other hand, The Verge said it is still not clear at this time if "Zune" will be killed off totally.For now, The Verge said Microsoft has removed traces of Zune from its Windows Store, Music, and Video applications, although Zune Pass functionality remains.It also noted Microsoft's Xbox team is handling the creation and management of the Metro style Video and Music applications within Windows 8.Also, it cited earlier reports that Windows 8 will move to "Xbox Live for Windows" as the entertainment brand for Windows 8 Music, Video and Games shortly before its release."The debranding of Zune has already taken effect in the final Windows 8 Consumer Preview, but the full transition away from Zune will take place over the summer. The move away from Zune is part of a broad effort to simplify and consolidate the company's brands into a simple consumer message alongside Microsoft SkyDrive and Microsoft Hotmail," it said.Branding changesThe Verge said the branding in Windows 8 may include the following changes:Microsoft Account (replacing Windows Live ID) Mail (replacing Windows Live Mail) Calendar (replacing Windows Live Calendar) People (replacing Windows Live Contacts) Photos (replacing Windows Live Photo Gallery) Music (replacing Zune Music Player) Video (replacing Zune Video Player)Spotify-like service a Zune replacement?The Verge cited reports that Microsoft may be replacing Zune with a Spotify-like service later this year based on Xbox Live.It added the move to scrap the Zune desktop client for Windows Phone 8 further backs up the death of Zune as a brand. — TJD, GMA News

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-055107159.htmlWhen they get to use Microsoft’s upcoming flagship operating system Windows 8, users of the OS for the last 17 years may have to say goodbye to a familiar item: the Start button.Chaitanya Sareen, program manager lead on Microsoft’s Core Experience Evolved team, said this is part of an “evolution” of the Start menu.In a blog post, Sareen said Microsoft will turn to the taskbar - the area at the bottom part of the screen when Windows is first installed - as the main launcher for programs instead of the Start button.“With the Windows taskbar becoming the key launcher and switcher for the desktop, and the Start menu being revealed as a poor everyday launcher, an opportunity appeared to reimagine Start and make it into something more valuable”.He noted most Windows users just use the taskbar - where shortcuts to their most commonly used programs are pinned - to access the things they commonly use.This freed Microsoft up to make Start even better at its unique strengths and to unlock new scenarios.Among these new scenarios are improved search, more room for all programs, tiles that are alive with activity, and richer customization.Start button’s originsSareen noted the Start menu started out in Windows 95, at a time PC towers and 15” CRTs dominated cubicles.The Start menu eventually evolved into an orb that included instant search, like the one found in Vista and Windows 7.Taskbar to replace buttonIn Windows 8, Sareen said they will use their finding that enthusiasts use their Windows 7 taskbar even more than the Start menu.“Keyboard shortcuts ... make it even faster for the keyboard experts to instantly launch and switch with the taskbar (and those shortcuts continue to work in Windows 8)”.In effect, the taskbar has evolved to replace many aspects of the Start menu. — TJD, GMA News
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Once again Microsoft is trying to come up with a 'new' OS and ending up with something similar that is already called Linux... And it's free!!! Microsoft? Why bother...

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The "start" button? Really? Too bad... never used it much anyway, can't say I'll miss it at all. I strongly disliked the menu starting with Win 95, and it never really got any better. I have used 3rd party add-ons for years. My taskbar does a bit more than standard, but mostly I use the gadget sidebar. All my daily/normal launch stuff is either on a gadget called Launch Control or on my task bar in the quick launch area, next to the ignored start button.A lot of my friends use their tablet instead of a PC on a regular basis already. So I think Windows has the right idea to add a lot of support for ARM. The college students I know buy laptops for the word processor. Once the tablets get better word processor & print abilities you won't need laptops. Too bad Palm is extinct. My old Palm 500 had better print capabilities than the tablets. It had some great conduits for the PC.You know, I think Windows 7 was the most stable version they ever had on initial release. And even with updates I don't think any of the prior versions were ever as reliable as Windows 7... and no one really cared. I will be curious to see how Windows 8 does.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I for one won't buy another new M$ OS ..... just getting to old to have to learn all over again ..... my Win7 will serve me until my fingers quit working ..... I don't need a Win8 touchscreen as my Acer w500 tab already does that and does it extremely well plus with the USB ports I can plug in almost any type hardware ..... but it was not designed to take the place of my tower of power ...... nothing will ever take it's place for computing and gaming ......I tried Lindows years ago when it first came out but quickly lost interest when I found out that all my programs were not supported by the OS and the Lindows programs fell far short of what I expected or wanted ...... I presently have some 238 programs on my computer and have no intention of trying to learn 238 new programs using a different OS other than M$ ...... so Win7 we are married for life ...... :) :thumbsup:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Here Mike, play with these buttons to your heart's content! I know you will!post-682-0-98366200-1330682626_thumb.jpg post-682-0-53574900-1330682697_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Well, this really isn't much fun... Here I am testing another version of WindOWs for publication purposes and wondering if I"m going to find anything at all that I can honestly say is worth while... so far I've had it on 3 different machines and not one of them responds as quickly as my Ubuntu does on the same machine... and I have to say it even looks like... ugh!!! If it wasn't for the money, I should have followed my advice above... :dance: