Fault Lines And Earthquakes

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not trying to scare anyone nor lull some into a state of false security but earthquakes are a fact of life here in the Philippines ..... as we had one last month which was felt here in Cebu I just thought I would pass on some info to those who have never experienced one as it was my first significant one and an eye opener for me ......First off it gives no warning ..... I've been living in the same area of Cebu for over 4 years and other than a small tremor a couple of years ago there has been nothing ..... however this time was different .... in the blink of an eye the building starting shaking and trembling and it actually made it difficult to walk ..... there was also a sound like a big truck going past .... before I could put my shorts on it quit ..... maybe 15-20 seconds ..... yup .... only 15-20 seconds ..... folks you ain't got time to exit a building in that time ..... during this quake the first jolt was the worst with several smaller after shocks following (during the next several weeks more small ones occurred) ....The first thing they tell you is to exit the build and stand outside ... AWAY FROM TALL BUILDINGS ..... they could fall on you ..... now this is fine if the first shock is not the worst one such as in Kobe Japan ..... (it was a 7.2 .... the one here was a 6.8) ..... you can get outside and wait .... but if it the first is the worst you ain't got time to get outside ..... believe you me .....Not sure if there is anyway to actually prepare for a quake other than pray ..... with Hurricanes and typhoons you have a long time to get ready (unless you wait till the last minute) and tornadoes are a bit more tricky but in tornado prone areas if a storm is coming you can always expect the worst and have a plan .... quakes ..... good luck ..... just hope your number isn't up .....The following maps came from the Philippine government website on Earthquakes ..... if you live along one of the fault lines you can reasonably expect a quake to happen SOMETIME ..... but just when is not known ..... maybe tomorrow maybe not in your life time ..... but it COULD happen ..... anyway these maps maybe of benefit to some members ....One interesting note on these maps is that they show a fault in the area of Negros where the one last month happened ..... and also for those of us in Cebu there are 2 running parallel to each other ..... these may not be major faults but they are faults just the same ......post-11-0-08934600-1330748695_thumb.pngpost-11-0-99481600-1330748421_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-79191800-1330748465_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-80190900-1330748500_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-45897600-1330748534_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-66966900-1330748569_thumb.jpgThis one shows where tsunami's could strikepost-11-0-77009000-1330748606_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's all because we are situated around "The Pacific Ring of Fire"!We just have to wait it out when and where the next earthquake will be!https://www.google.c...iw=1344&bih=762post-682-0-74437500-1330754424_thumb.jpg post-682-0-30436700-1330761888_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-03886200-1330762082_thumb.jpg

Edited by Art2ro

Americano
Posted
Posted

Mike,It made me laugh when you said before I put my shorts on it quit. I had my shorts on but chose to hold my large computer monitor so it didn't fall in the floor. My wife was only wearing her panties when she started to run outside and stopped when she realized she needed more clothes. Our 18 year old relative was ready to run outside with my wife too but she couldn't stop laughing at her being almost naked. All three of us were afraid and laughing at the same time. It sounded like a train was going past our window and there was a very fast vibration. My only fear was that the concrete building would colapse. The girls were afraid with every after shock we have had. Usually the big one comes first. Since we survived it I figured we were safe. Until the next earthquake that is.

• Like 3

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

When I was living permanently in Cebu City, I would feel an earthquake about once per month on the 3rd floor that you could not feel on the ground.The worst earthquake I felt was on Leyte. There was an electrician up in the ceiling doing electrical work. The house started shaking and I was wondering what the electrician was doing to the house to make it shake. Then I realised that the floor was moving in relation to the ceiling and I knew it wasn't the electrician.The Philippines averages about 1 earthquake per day. Most of which don't make the news or are too small for most people to notice. Some one on another forum suggested this is a good thing. Lots of small earthquakes to relieve the pressure instead of one big release. I agree.Regards: Jim

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is a previous topic that was posted that maybe of interest :thumbsup:That has posters for Earthquake safetyhttp://www.philippin...ake-safety-tips

Edited by Call me Bubba

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is the link to the philippine earthquake site .  PHIVOLCS

Earthquake Bulletins of latest seismic events in the Philippines are listed
below. The event parameters (hypocenter, time and magnitude) are determined
using incoming data from the Philippine
National Seismic Network

http://earthquake.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/

hope this is helpful