Extras Sir?

chrisandging
Posted
Posted

This isn't about what you thought!The situation.I'm Building a house, The contracts are all signed, there is always something you did not think of. Who pays? The contractor or you?I get the feeling it will me me (actually i KNOW!) but at least by this thread others may think to ask and include it in the deal when they build their own house.I hope i can come back to this same thread and edit so it will end up as a list of odd or un-thought of expenses. So Far ;-Temporary Meralco connection. Contractor builds pole, i pay for fittings.The Electric bill whilst you are building. MeThe Water bill during building. Blo**y me again.Termite proofing. will be 3 gallons of hometek at 3500 per gal. Well i did not ask for a termite free home!My other thought is that i have contracted to build a house by a certain date and the contractor should pay. (fat chance)Experiences guys?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I hope you can keep up on this useful and interesting topic. Thanks!

Jake
Posted
Posted
This isn't about what you thought!The situation.I'm Building a house, The contracts are all signed, there is always something you did not think of. Who pays? The contractor or you?I get the feeling it will me me (actually i KNOW!) but at least by this thread others may think to ask and include it in the deal when they build their own house.I hope i can come back to this same thread and edit so it will end up as a list of odd or un-thought of expenses.So Far ;-Temporary Meralco connection. Contractor builds pole, i pay for fittings.The Electric bill whilst you are building. MeThe Water bill during building. Blo**y me again.Termite proofing. will be 3 gallons of hometek at 3500 per gal. Well i did not ask for a termite free home!My other thought is that i have contracted to build a house by a certain date and the contractor should pay. (fat chance)Experiences guys?
Hello Chrisandging,I would assume your new castle is located in Tagaytay? Well done sir -- that is some prime real estateup there with breathtaking views of Taal Lake and strategic location between the beaches of Batangasand Metro Manila. Not to mention that Tagaytay is like another Baguio with cooler temperatures.Yes, please keep us appraise on your construction project. Many expats will follow your foot steps.Respectfully -- Jake

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I wish i had good news for you!!! But sorry i have to tell the truth.Since you decided to deal with contractors to build your house (and not buy a ready made one) have in mind it will cost you 30-40% more of what you calculated. they will be trying to rip you off in every given chance and on the same time to sweetalk your wife that you do not know how and what needs to be done, "mom explain him later that is necessary so you get a good house" there comes the wife bla bla back to you.....GOD THANKS I AM DONE WITH IT, finished my house....Now Termite protection? Are you making a wooden house? other than a few wall particions (if so) or the stairs, where else you have wood? are you planning to leave the house unattended for a year or so, in order to give the chance to termites to "attack" you? I made a 326m2 living area house, i did not buy not even an ounce of it....Meralco posts? You pay for the post and the fittings to the contractor? Why? It is the Meralco you should pay for poll and fitting and meter!!!! Contractor went to Meralco, did add a good % to it and charges you like no tomorrow, that is what happens.Which stage of construction are you on? You can always e-mail me (i do not read the forum daily...) and give you any advice you might want. I kicked away all the contractors, i hired my own workers (i actually paid 50p more per person and got the contractor's own workers which he was paying badly with delays etc etc) and made my house with me as engineer/architect and my wife as CEO telling how and what she likes plus pushing on the upgrades of materials which i thank her for it.As for blue prints, permits etc...peanuts!!!! I went to the municipal hall, found the guy who approves the plans i asked him to make a plan for me, he did (40.000p), he approved it, finished with all the engineering needs.As for structural strength, waterproofing, heat isolation, etc etc...I do have a very good knowledge my self and a VERY stuborn personality when i am taken advantage....hahahhahahPlenty or info online, workers do know too, asking helps too.be patient, be really patient and ASK and ASK, the more you know the less you spend and better you make.

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted
This isn't about what you thought!The situation.I'm Building a house, The contracts are all signed, there is always something you did not think of. Who pays? The contractor or you?I get the feeling it will me me (actually i KNOW!) but at least by this thread others may think to ask and include it in the deal when they build their own house.I hope i can come back to this same thread and edit so it will end up as a list of odd or un-thought of expenses.So Far ;-Temporary Meralco connection. Contractor builds pole, i pay for fittings.The Electric bill whilst you are building. MeThe Water bill during building. Blo**y me again.Termite proofing. will be 3 gallons of hometek at 3500 per gal. Well i did not ask for a termite free home!My other thought is that i have contracted to build a house by a certain date and the contractor should pay. (fat chance)Experiences guys?
From what you have said so far...........no different to building a house in Australia. I don't see the problem :89:Building a house anywhere...........just a pain in the arse.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
From what you have said so far...........no different to building a house in Australia. I don't see the problem :89:Building a house anywhere...........just a pain in the arse.
:tiphat: ABSOLUTLY Correct

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I was involved with a commercial building project here in the US about 4 years ago. Two buildings, 15,000 sqft. Covered everything from the dirt up to the roof tops.Contractors seem to love change orders. They get to tack on a percentage of the actuall labor and materials cost to the bill. Even though the original bid for the entire project was agreed upon, there will always be something you think of down the road to change or improve.As an example, the front enterance has a reception counter. If a client needed assistance the receptionist would have to walk around back and through a hall to assist the customer. It took about 30 seconds to walk around. May not seem like much but when busy and the phone is ringing with customers in line?My idea was to leave out a section of the front desk area since it was modular in construction. The contractor wanted to charge a change order fee due to the reduction in materials needed from the sub contractor. Now this section had not even started, material had not even been ordered. All I asked was to "Leave out" this section. Should have saved time and money not cost. Eventually did get the charge credited but they did make it up elsewhere.The only way to get something done right is to do it yourself or have a very very very good honest contractor/superintendant. They are the ones that have to deal with the sub contractors and suppliers.In the end.... who pays? You do of course! For everything! Its all in how the contract is written out and what you specify. Never ever give full payment up front. We paid weekly based on a spreadsheet of progress.Think of it as a learning experience. How much is this education going to cost you?One last thing. Anything material you had to pay for as a "temporary". Make sure you keep that. No use giving it away. Funny I stopped the contractor from taking the temporary power pole from our site. They charged us for it so I said leave it. Now it is laying down as a tasteful part of the landscape.

• Like 2

chrisandging
Posted
Posted

Just gone into week the 2nd of the build. No new problems so far.The Ant killer is mixed and in a big plastic barrel as they are finishing a hole for a column it gets a soaking with the watering can before the concrete goes in. Seems a sensible way of doing it. Also i know that the can of insecticide wasn't sold back to the supplier and the money pocketed. YES i am that suspicious, check EVERYTHING. It is a fine line between insulting people and being diligent.This is actually the second house that i have built here in the Philippines. Last time i hired the workers myself, bought all materials myself. A foreman took charge of the workers. It was EXTREMELY frustrating. The workers would agree to do what ever you told them, swear that they understood, even to the extent that i would ask them to tell me what i had just told them. Then they would just do the job how they thought it should be done anyway. Well the worker would be fired, but i'm still left with the cost of replacement of the bad work, a disgruntled ex-employee the search for a new employee. (if a worker says he is a mason you have to take him at his word until you can see the quality of his work, again it is your materials that he is wasting.) I am trying a different route this time. Only time will tell which was the best way.I attend the site 2 times a day at the moment, when there are more opportunities for short cuts i will be there even more. Tape measure and plans in hand, no harm to keep them on their toes. Being close to a volcano there is a lot of steel going in 16mm rebar all over the place. Each footing is braced by a "footing tie beam" Look a bit of a mug if it is still standing when Taal blows and we just get buried in ash!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just gone into week the 2nd of the build. No new problems so far.The Ant killer is mixed and in a big plastic barrel as they are finishing a hole for a column it gets a soaking with the watering can before the concrete goes in. Seems a sensible way of doing it. Also i know that the can of insecticide wasn't sold back to the supplier and the money pocketed. YES i am that suspicious, check EVERYTHING. It is a fine line between insulting people and being diligenT This is actually the second house that i have built here in the Philippines.
We are about to start our build in earnest, we will elevate the House 1 mtr. This will require a large back Fill. Any Suggestions on insecticide treatment?? And More Importantly I guess, making sure it is Done Correctly in our absence from Site.Jack P.