Philippine Embassy Closures!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Yesterday Evening, I had a Phone call from one of my Filipino colleagues here in Spain, He was concerned that his Sister had Rung him about Embassy Closures. He said that his sister had told him, That Manila have decided to close 10 world Wide Embassies to concentrate on those, in the Middle East. As I sit and write this, I have no idea how Correct, this information can be. Is there anyone out there, that can throw any Light on this for me. What is concerning, is That MADRID was mentioned and the consulates in CADIZ and SANTANDAR, This would Surprise me, given the amount of Filipino's we have here working, in Spain. Of course and quite rightly so, he and I hazard a guess, A Great many more, will be concerned for their protection. As I say, I have no Knowledge at this time but I said I would make some Enquires. If any one has any news on this I would be Grateful. I asked my Wife this morning, she has no Idea and Heard Nothing.Jack P. :attention:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Says Barcelona, not Madrid. Don't see the other 2 you mentioned either.http://globalnation....ect-on-services

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Yesterday Evening, I had a Phone call from one of my Filipino colleagues here in Spain, He was concerned that his Sister had Rung him about Embassy Closures. He said that his sister had told him, That Manila have decided to close 10 world Wide Embassies to concentrate on those, in the Middle East. As I sit and write this, I have no idea how Correct, this information can be. Is there anyone out there, that can throw any Light on this for me. What is concerning, is That MADRID was mentioned and the consulates in CADIZ and SANTANDAR, This would Surprise me, given the amount of Filipino's we have here working, in Spain. Of course and quite rightly so, he and I hazard a guess, A Great many more, will be concerned for their protection. As I say, I have no Knowledge at this time but I said I would make some Enquires. If any one has any news on this I would be Grateful. I asked my Wife this morning, she has no Idea and Heard Nothing.Jack P. :)
:attention: mmmmmmmmmm Oooooops, Panic Over, I have just been Speaking to my Brother -in -Law in Manila, he tells me that it is Only BARCELONA consulate, that will Close (Although there may be a Rethink on this) Sorry for the Shoot First Question here. Sorry if I have wasted anyones time in reading the post. (100 Lines- I MUST THINK BEFORE I SEND) :attention: Jack P. :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Says Barcelona, not Madrid. Don't see the other 2 you mentioned either.http://globalnation....ect-on-services
YUP, Thank You for the Reply, The other 2 apparently are only lawyer based consulates and not Consulate Generals. I am up to Date now so I have Rung my colleague and Told Him. Thanks. :attention:

• 5 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is the latest update on closures

Philippines shuts down five diplomatic missions

2012-09-04 08:37:53 GMT2012-09-04 16:37:53(Beijing Time) Xinhua English

MANILA, Sept. 4 (Xinhua) -- The Philippines has shut down five of the ten diplomatic missions due for closure this year, a senior official said Tuesday.

According to Rafael Seguis, undersecretary for foreign affairs, the Philippine government recently terminated the operation of its embassies in Caracas, Venezuela; Koror, Palau; Dublin, Ireland

and consulates general in Barcelona, Spain and Frankfurt, Germany.

The Philippine embassies in Stockholm, Sweden;

Bucharest, Romania;

Havana, Cuba;

Helsinki, Finland and

consulate in Saipan in Northern Mariana Islands began scaling down its operations in preparation for closure on October 31.

Seguis said closing down the 10 diplomatic missions is part of the department's restructuring plan and austerity measures.

The closure can result in savings estimated at 100 million pesos (2.38 million U.S. dollars), which can be allocated to other cash-strapped posts that serve a greater number of Filipinos.

"We are re-aligning our budget where they are most needed like in the Middle East," Seguis told reporters. "We need to maximize our resources and budget."

The nearest Philippine embassy or consulate will assume jurisdiction and functions of the closed diplomatic missions.

Prior to the closure, the Philippines had 94 diplomatic posts abroad, including 67 embassies, 23 consulates, and four missions to international organizations.

The selection of posts to be closed down was made based on the post's performance and economic and political importance.

The Philippines has already informed host governments of the terminated posts as well as its respective diplomatic missions here in Manila.

The Filipino communities, under the jurisdiction of the said embassies and consulates, have also been informed.

Filipino diplomatic personnel displaced by the shutdown were absorbed by existing embassies and consulates mainly in the Middle East, Seguis said, while others, whose tours of duty have expired, were automatically recalled to Manila.

http://english.sina.com/world/2012/0904/503104.html

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/272524/pinoyabroad/news/dfa-shuts-down-five-overseas-posts-with-five-more-to-close-this-year