Philippines Ranks 136 Out Of 153 Global Peace Index 2011

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Global Peace Index rankings start at page 8, I am unable to copy the country statistic tables here to the forum for some reason.From page 12;The divide in south-east Asia has become more markedthis year, with Taiwan and Vietnam both rising into thetop 30 and Indonesia remaining in the top 70 (68th).Cambodia, Thailand and the Philippines are rankedover 100th. Thailand’s score improved solidly from asharp deterioration the previous year amid a politicalcrisis which erupted into violence. The Philippines’tally was unchanged, with most measures of safetyand security in society registering high scores torefl ect a tense security situation in several parts of thearchipelago, notably the southern islands of Mindanao,Basilan and Jolo where several separatist movementsremain active. In April 2010 militants from an Islamicterrorist group, Abu Sayyaf, carried out a series ofbombings and shootings in Mindanao, killing 14 people.South Asian nations occupy the lower half of theregional table, headed by Bangladesh, in 83rd place.Nepal has ranked above Bangladesh since it was fi rstincluded in the 2009 GPI, but rising political instabilitycaused by several failed attempts to elect a new primeminister and a lengthy power vacuum combined withan increased likelihood of violent demonstrations anda higher Political Terror Scale score contributed tothe Himalayan republic dropping to 95th position.Ongoing internal confl icts and related security concernsin Afghanistan and Pakistan contribute to their lowrankings, although both countries’ scores improved inthe 2011 GPI, Pakistan experiencing a rise in politicalstability from a highly volatile situation and a perceivedreduction in the level of violent crime and the likelihoodof violent demonstrations. The lowly positions of NorthKorea and Myanmar refl ect high scores in the broadcategories of confl ict and security and very high levels ofmilitarisation.http://www.visionofhumanity.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2011-GPI-Results-Report-Final.pdf

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
notably the southern islands of Mindanao, Basilan and Jolo where several separatist movements remain active. In April 2010 militants from an Islamic terrorist group, Abu Sayyaf, carried out a series of bombings and shootings in Mindanao, killing 14 people.
Really a shame that for such a small area "notably the southern islands of Mindanao, Basilan and Jolo" that the Phils gets such a bad rap ...... I wonder if they had taken certain areas in the US like "little Havana" in Miami and base the whole US on that statistic ...... or maybe the hood in NYC ..... Los Angles or Boston or Dallas/Ft Worth or for that matter any major city in the US ...... would the US have tumbled down the ladder .... god how I love statistics ..... :) :hystery: Thanks for the post Old55 ...... none of my remarks are aimed at you ..... :tiphat:
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree with you Mike :chickendance:"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."- Mark Twain

• Like 4