Renting/leasing Long Term Near Beach Costs?

mofungo
Posted
Posted

Hello all,First post here so please excuse my newbie questions,My wife and I are beginning our research into possible retirement places.I found this site because it seems the Philippines has the easiest requirements for retirement visas for non Philippinos. Okay so this is a very broad question: Approx. what would a months rent be for a small house with a large yard, near the beach on for example Palawan? I've only recently begun studying the geography and it seems most people here are living near Cebu, is this correct?I'm interested in outer island with less population, but still have access to a hospital and be relatively safe.As for the house in question, I don't need air-con. Maybe 1000 sq.ft./90sq.m. Off the grid would be okay or unreliable mains power okay. However a septic tank or septic system would be needed. How feasible is it to buy or import solar panels to the Philippines? I imagine shipping to outer islands gets difficult and expensive. Any of this sound feasible or ridiculous to you? Please let me know,thanks,Mofungo

mofungo
Posted
Posted

I guess I should add as my question is so broad..can anyone recommend a real estate agency site that has listings of house rentals, not condos or townhouses, in Cebu as well as other outlying areas. I've googled and gotten lots of property for sale, but very few links to long term rentals for the expat.If this is considered NG because putting links to business is seen as soliciting or something please feel free to send me a message.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
very few links to long term rentals for the expat.
I believe it is because very few long term rentals for expats are listed on the Internet. Especially if you are outside the 3 main cities of Manila, Cebu, or Davao.When and if you do find anything on the Internet, it will be hugely overpriced. Example: A neighbor advertises his house on the Internet and gets lots of inquiries. He is asking 20K a month for the house only and 30K if you want to use the house AND lot (be careful on that or you will rent a house and have lots of people coming and going all day because you did not rent the lot.Anyway, that neighbors house would rent for 5K a month if he really wanted it rented but he is content to wait until a sucker comes along and pays the Internet price. Of course he insists on a year contract so you cannot move in and then realize what a mistake you have made so then move out right away.Moral is: Boots on the ground in your chosen location is the ONLY way to find a long term rental without paying through the nose.
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
I guess I should add as my question is so broad..can anyone recommend a real estate agency site that has listings of house rentals, not condos or townhouses, in Cebu as well as other outlying areas. I've googled and gotten lots of property for sale, but very few links to long term rentals for the expat.If this is considered NG because putting links to business is seen as soliciting or something please feel free to send me a message.
Hello Mofungo,Hopefully this will get you started: http://www.philippin...dpost__p__24374. One of our long time members,Mr Lee has posted a personal contact, his close Filipino friend Angelo. His phone number is listed andperhaps he could find another agent for any area or region of interest. Best of luck -- Jake

mofungo
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much Dave and Jake for the info. That will definitely get me started. I was wondering why all the rentals were 20k and up. I have to get myself over there to do some in person research/vacationing.Keep the advice coming, thanks again

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

If medical care is a high priority, then you will need to live in Cebu City or some where close.On Leyte, I have already accepted I will be dead before receiving medical care if it is something serious. There is no helicopter to come and pick me up.As for cost. I rent on Leyte with my girlfriend. It is 10 minutes walk to the cafes by the sea. It is about 25 minutes walk to the beach. The rent is P2500 per month but it has no yard and is low class.On the beach, I expect maybe P6000 to P10,000 per month.Regards: Jim

mofungo
Posted
Posted

Hi Jim,Thanks for the info on Leyte and your candid response puts things into perspective, greatly appreciated!Had a look round your website and vids, great info for the newbie. I don't think I could handle village life for long term, my wife, forgetaboutit. That said something nearer the beach with some tile would be more our style, I think.Again thanks for taking the time to answer,Mofungo

• 5 months later...
demimarkbenedict
Posted
Posted

Hi Mofungo,

I was reading your post and I think I have a property that will fit your requirement but it is not located in Palawan or anywhere near Cebu. This property is located in Bataan somewhere north of Manila. What I'm offering here is not a house for rent but a Condo that you can own that has great views of the beach and the mountain with a matching golf course in the compound. If you would be interested please send me a message at my email.

Have a great day.

Demi.