Taxis Up In Manila

United Army
Posted
Posted

This has happened twice to me, this time when I went up to Manila for my VA appt last week and last year also. The taxi driver did not turn on his meter and said "pay me what you want for your ride". Well my wife shouted use your meter! So he did. This is starting to irritate me. The taxi driver knows he's suppose to use his meter, isn't that the law in the PH? So I told my wife the next time we go up to Manila, and a taxi driver says that to me, I'll say ..OK. and then I will pay him 20 peso for my ride and walk away. My next trip up to Manila is in June for my VA appt so I hope a taxi driver will say that again...should be lol

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Might not end up "lol" for you even though I understand where your coming from. I guess if it was me, I would just say stop the taxi, tell the driver you are writing down his number but since your wife is there perhaps better she handle the situation. One never knows where these things can lead to in my opinion.

• Like 1

United Army
Posted
Posted
Might not end up "lol" for you even though I understand where your coming from. I guess if it was me, I would just say stop the taxi, tell the driver you are writing down his number but since your wife is there perhaps better she handle the situation. One never knows where these things can lead to in my opinion.
You might be right....

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
This has happened twice to me, this time when I went up to Manila for my VA appt last week and last year also. The taxi driver did not turn on his meter and said "pay me what you want for your ride". Well my wife shouted use your meter! So he did. This is starting to irritate me. The taxi driver knows he's suppose to use his meter, isn't that the law in the PH? So I told my wife the next time we go up to Manila, and a taxi driver says that to me, I'll say ..OK. and then I will pay him 20 peso for my ride and walk away. My next trip up to Manila is in June for my VA appt so I hope a taxi driver will say that again...should be lol
If he doesn't turn the meter on, it is free!Regards: Jim

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

Best advice I can give is never get into a taxi until you establishthe terms, price or meter etc. you dont have to be rude just be firm and if they give you a difficult time go on to the next one. keep it simple and keep your aggrevation to yourself. it does getold having to be so "aware" all of the time though, I hear ya.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Here in Cebu City you will 99% of the time NOT have any problems ..... only twice in over 4 years have we been over charged and only by about 40p ..... but we have had to remind them a couple of times to turn the meter on ..... some will actually forget like the guy who got upset when a traffic control officer gave him a hard time for stopping and picking us up ..... he apologized to us a dozen times for not turning on the meter ...... but we told him no problem we take this route all the time and we paid him accordingly .....

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is a positive story about a "manila" taxi cab driverA taxi driver who surrendered a bag left by three German tourists was hailed by the Department of Tourism as the Philippines’ “model of fun.” Tourism Secretary Ramon Jimenez Jr. on Thursday lauded the good gesture of Sotero Canonoy,a taxi driver who turned over a bag which contained a laptop, PSP, cell phone, wristwatch, and some clothes and medicines left by the tourists whom he transported to Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 on March 23. http://ph.news.yahoo.com/honest-cabbie-is--model-of-fun-.html

• Like 3