Interesting Concept

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thought I would put this under education as it does pertain to it ..... well maybe not ..... but it is here anyway unless someone wants to move it .... :hystery:I was sitting here the other night and my asawa was talking to her sister who is graduating form culinary school in June ..... I over heard her saying something about going to work .... so when she got off the phone I asked her if Judy was going to work already and she said as part of the schools course requirements each student must complete 3 months of OJT in order to graduate ...... now get this ..... the student must pay for this course themselves and they will not be paid by the person they are working for ..... this will be for 6 days a week ..... 10 hours a day ..... now here is the real kicker they only had 4 slots open in the kitchen so her and 10 of her classmates are working in the housekeeping department to complete their course ..... now the school picks the place they will work and I'm sure they will receive something from the hotel as well as what the students had to pay ....... but what the heck has housekeeping to do with culinary ...... beats me ..... but at least she will get a diploma ..... she wants to go overseas as she is to old to work for Jollibee ..... she's 30 ...... ahhhhhhh .... the opportunities here in the Philippines ... :hystery: :nudie:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A lot of culinary schools will send their students out for a non-paying OJT period... I've seen it here in Canada and the States... I will admit I have never seen it take place in Housekeeping.... What do they do? Make the beds and then leave a fruit salad in the room? :nudie:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I think the main thing here Bob is just to get them a piece of paper saying "hey I graduated" ..... worry about the small stuff later .... like can I really cook or not ..... but then on the bright side they DIDN'T send her to Chow King to make Halo Halo ...... :nudie: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

The easy way is to just buy a diploma. Why bother with all that unnecessary work when a few pesos can buy whatever you need? Those who don't live in the Philippines probably think I'm joking. Everything has a price here. I know someone who bought a high school diploma last month for just 1,000pesos.

retired
Posted
Posted

Oh boy , do i need to get into this can of worms... :-) Have already been through this with one step - child and going through again . And , no , I am not out to change the Philippine way of doing anything but do believe this is one area the country really needs to address better . Just seems to me the country goes out of it's way to depress opportunity for it's young and the young of today will be the leaders of tomorrow albeit even if from the same families .Sent one through Culinary school in Manila . Initially he wanted to study Filipino cooking but i insisted on broadening his scope to Asian cooking which meant learning Japanese , Chineese , Thai , etc. as i thought he would be better prepared in terms of the job market . Does his chef hat thing gets his piece of paper and couldn't get a job at Jolibees . Now , one can argue whether that was because he was over qualified or simply one of pick a number applying for the same position . Now works for a call centre where the diploma has no relevance of course .Which brings me to current time frame . Step - daughter will be going to Boracay to do her ojt requirement . Probably pleases her to no end but from my perspective was hoping for Palawan because then i would have an excuse to visit there where i have not been . :-) Either way , neither location is designed to be of minimal cost to me . Back track to last year ... the University had an arrangement via some group in the Philippines for their students to intern in Singapore . Had the opportunity to speak with a couple of young ladies that had first hand knowledge of that program and it was outstanding . Hotel/resort provided dorm style housing and "paid" the Philippine equivalent of 16,000 - 20,000 peso a month . Now , they did have some expenses out of that but you get the drift . So , what happened . Reading between the lines certain parties on this side of the water got a bit overly greedy causing the Singapore side of the arrangement to cancel the relationship . :-(Fast forward to present... Step - daughter is required to work 700 hrs " free" of course with no lodging provided by hotel/resort in Boracay . Which means i get to support her via room and board and personal expenses for a three month stay in Boracay . :-) Not concerned about where she will work as bot hotel/resorts are part of Regency chain but common sense suggests that one would not go to Boracay to live like the locals ( though she will have to a degree ) .Now , maybe it's just me but i doubt it as i basically see this ojt experience as nothing much short of forced labour or worse ---------- . Fill in the blank as i am loathe to use the sxxxxxx word .

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Interesting ..... she already did the Singapore thing last year and said she loved it (thank god she has a sponsor) so I'm not real sure what this OJT is all about ..... but as she lives in Manila she doesn't need to be sent anywhere else this time and just commutes back and forth by jeepney ..... thank god here partner is already a chief and has a fairly decent job ...... they are both talking about becoming OFW's once she gets her paper ...... they want to go to Canada to where her older brother is working ..... but that could just be wishful thinking .....

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Slave labor - It's more fun in the Philippines!Does it count as slave labor if you have to pay them to be allowed to work for free?Ok, honestly here in the States there are a lot of jobs that require internships and quite a lot of them are unpaid. I don't how people can afford to do it, but at least they are interns in their field of training. I know a few people that did internships at Disneyworld. I don't know if they got paid but they did get to stay in dorms.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Interesting ..... she already did the Singapore thing last year and said she loved it (thank god she has a sponsor) so I'm not real sure what this OJT is all about ..... but as she lives in Manila she doesn't need to be sent anywhere else this time and just commutes back and forth by jeepney ..... thank god here partner is already a chief and has a fairly decent job ...... they are both talking about becoming OFW's once she gets her paper ...... they want to go to Canada to where her older brother is working ..... but that could just be wishful thinking .....
I know quite a few young people here who are studying the culinary arts and can't get work once they graduate. But if you know somebody who can get you in the door, that will help a lot! Or go somewhere like Niagara Falls where there are more restaurants than convenience stores but you have to apply very early in the spring... Once it gets warm here, the jobs are all locked up and only a few get to stay through the winter when the tourism slows down.