Number Of Foreign Retirees Locating To Rp Fall By A Tenth

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Number of foreign retirees locating to RP fall by a tenthCould it be due to corruption and also making it hard to do anything here in the Philippines, not to mention having to check in every 60 days?? http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/02/27/...g-rp-fall-tenth

Bastos
Posted
Posted

corruption, filth, air pollution, crazed towel headed wackos, kano taxes, drunk brother in laws, food, etc, etc

twostrokes
Posted
Posted
Number of foreign retirees locating to RP fall by a tenthCould it be due to corruption and also making it hard to do anything here in the Philippines, not to mention having to check in every 60 days?? http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/02/27/...g-rp-fall-tenth
That number drop is based on "a retirement visa", not those staying on visitors visas...It is noted in their figures only 7% are American...which means most Americans are using extended visitors visas.....I expect the number of Americans will drop continuously over the next several years. Remember the vast majority of Americans are those that spent time in the Philippines while in the Military...Either on ships passing through, or stationed there, or R&R from the Nam days....With the Bases being gone nearly 20 years now (wow has it been that long?), and no R&R flights coming in, Most Americans don't even know the Philippines exists, much less what is in country. Of those that know it to be on the map, I am sure it is just another Asian country on the MAP. Jim

Mik
Posted
Posted

The recession is making it harder to retire. Some people may be putting off retirement for a while and staying in their home countries to continue working. Some reasons might be: unable to sell their house, investments have declined, income from pension plan or other source has declined.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I agree with Mike M. ........ it would be harder for me to retire right now if I was still back in the states ...... also if I hadn't planned my move several years before I made it and continued to run up credit card debts and other debts like new cars and such I would have been stuck in the merry-go-round known as keeping up with the Jones ...... I've had friends email me and tell me I was smart getting out when I did as most can't take an early retirement now due to financial obligations ......Damn .... I finally did something right for a change .... hahahahaha

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted (edited)
The recession is making it harder to retire. Some people may be putting off retirement for a while and staying in their home countries to continue working. Some reasons might be: unable to sell their house, investments have declined, income from pension plan or other source has declined.
I suspect very true Mike. I was lucky to be able to draw my pension when I did, just as the writing was on the wall about this crunch. If I had waited until now, with the level my pension fund would have reached, I wouldn't be able to afford to live here with the UK pound down 30% in 6 months. Edited by johnrxx99