Filipino Penitentia (Pentenance)

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a Filipino I still find the ceremony of Penitentia during the Holy week a bit morbid for me. First, let's get to the definition: feeling or expressing humble or regretful pain or sorrow for sins or offenses. Just about every road and street throughout the Philippines will be filled with parading young males whipping themselves with homemade flagellation tools, mostly made of bamboo sticks. Prior to the start of their long march, they would purposely have someone make small incisions on their backs to induce bleeding. You would also see a person dragging the heavy cross. North of Manila (I forgot the exact location), hanging from the cross becomes a major tourist attraction. One Belgian woman would make an annual visit, bringing her own set of nickel plated spikes to prevent infection. Bus loads of Japanese tourist and street vendors would fill the festive air. Although the church does not condone this practice, massive commercialization is quite apparent.

One thing that would directly affect the new expat is massive traffic of people and vehicles. In other words, you won't get very far or will take you hours to conduct your daily errands. This is one of the cultures that may not be agreeable to you. For 3 hundred years of Spanish influences, the mindset of a typical Filipino is a mixture of many conquerors of both good and bad.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 4

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I have witnessed this twice now and have to say that the second time was just as bothersome as the first to me. Correct me if I am wrong Jake, but was it not tradition that these guys used to cover their heads so that they would not be recognized? The ones I see now are usually already drunk and it looks to me to be much more of an attention getting thing, than any type of repentance or sacrifice.When I asked my wife why the Catholic in the Philippines was so different than most other parts of the world, she said that it was because Filipinos were so hard headed and will not listen to the leaders of the church. :yes: :)

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have witnessed this twice now and have to say that the second time was just as bothersome as the first to me. Correct me if I am wrong Jake, but was it not tradition that these guys used to cover their heads so that they would not be recognized? The ones I see now are usually already drunk and it looks to me to be much more of an attention getting thing, than any type of repentance or sacrifice.When I asked my wife why the Catholic in the Philippines was so different than most other parts of the world, she said that it was because Filipinos were so hard headed and will not listen to the leaders of the church. :89: SugarwareZ-037.gif

It's an open secret that you have 'clicks" or fraternities of guys (college, tricycle and jeepney drivers) that would be high on many things, including shabu. Yeah, I agree with you -- attention for their "remorse" in order for the females to feel sorry for them. The street vendors are raking in the money during that so called holy week...... Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

i have been today, to a "Semana Santa" possession in Seville, Spain, There, they still wear the KKK type headdress, Kind of Spooky really. it is a little too much for me but as they say "When in Rome"Not sure about the hard Headed bit but those that follow this, are surely hard Catholic followers and take it all very seriously. The majority of Spaniards just seem to treat the Long Weekend, as a Binge Time. Nothing Changes then I guess.Spain has a lot to answer for I will agree.My Wife and Daughter did the walk of the cross at 4.30am This morning, (About the Only other day with Birthday and Xmas she is out of bed before 7am)Too much for me but it was a good day out.Jack P. :)

• Like 1

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

So before you do business or loan out money,ask them to lift the shirt back so you can check for scars, less scars more honest..LOL :) .sorry to the religouse ones,,i just had to say it. :yes: tanks ej.

• Like 3