Need To Register My Son?

tbplayer
Posted
Posted

Not sure this is the right place for this question, but here goes. My wife and I are living in the states (She is from the Philippines of course) and we have an almost 6 month old son. Should we register him with the Philippines as to make him a citizen there, or is there any need to do so. We plan to start living in the Philippines during the winter months starting this coming year.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Not sure this is the right place for this question, but here goes. My wife and I are living in the states (She is from the Philippines of course) and we have an almost 6 month old son. Should we register him with the Philippines as to make him a citizen there, or is there any need to do so. We plan to start living in the Philippines during the winter months starting this coming year.

Hello

My opinion and without any real knowledge on the subject is that if he is a citizen of USA then if it was me then that's where he is and will always be a citizen of. Why would you want to change that as from what you wrote it appears you are only going to live in the Philippines at certain times of the year.

Maybe someone else has a different take on this?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You may be to late now to register the birth in the Philippines, it is 30 days time scale.

Google up PI Embassy and they will help you to at least get Duel nationality for the baby.

Dare I ask if you have registered the birth at all, If not you are going to have a few problems with a passport and so you need to act Quickly.

Sorry but your Topic opening did not make it 100% Clear.

Jack P. :)

Terpe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I must confess I don't know the laws in US so please excuse me if I make an error.

To my understanding anyone born in US is a US citizen right? entitled to a US passport.

Personally I would also try to secure (by whatever means is allowable) Philippines citizenship also. Means dual citizenship.

As I said, I don't know if thats possible in US but it should be I think. Certainly in UK dual citizenship is not an issue, and Philippines also accepts dual citizenship.

Best of both worlds so to speak.

In terms of visiting the Phils as a family, and whatever passports you hold, you should all be able to secure a Balikbayan stamp when you pass through immigration together. The Balikbayan stamp will entitle you and any children to 1 year stay. This can be extended if needed.

Hope this is helpful

Edited by Terpe

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

does your wife currently have US citizenship? yes ? no?

if no, then read the links listed,

AND YES she/you can register the birth with the RP (delayed registeration) contact the RP embassy in the DC area

http://philfaqs.com/get-there/visas/is-your-child-a-citizen/

The birth of a Filipino should be reported to and registered with the Philippine National Statistics Office through the Embassy/Consulate General having jurisdiction over the locality where the event took place. Please check the Consulate Finder or the Consulates Link for the states covered by the Embassy/Consulates General in the U.S.

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Four (4) original duly-accomplished Report of Birth application forms, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, and notarized if sent by mail
  2. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of Birth Certificate (original will be returned)
  3. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of Marriage Certificate of the parents (original will be returned)
  4. Notarized Affidavit of Acknowledgment of the Paternity and Permission to Use Father’s Surname, executed by the father, if parents are not married and the father’s surname is being used by the child
  5. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of proof of Philippine citizenship of either parent at time of birth of the child, such as Philippine passport (original will be returned), and photocopies of alien registration card, for green card holders. If only one parent is a Filipino at the time of child’s birth, the non-Filipino parent must submit four (4) photocopies of a government-issued identification card or passport.
  6. For parents who are dual citizens, four (4) photocopies of Order of Approval or Petition for Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship, indicating the name of the child as a minor-beneficiary of the parent’s re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship.
  7. If applicable, four (4) photocopies of U.S. Naturalization Certificate of parent(s).
  8. Notarized affidavit explaining the reasons for delayed registration, if Report of Birth is filed more than a year after the child is born
  9. Self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps, via US Postal Service or private courier of choice, preferably with tracking numbers, if Report of Birth is to be mailed back
  10. Processing fee of $25.00 (non-refundable), payable in money order, bank draft, certified check or cashier’s check, and cash when personally applying. Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.
  11. For applicants residing in U.S. territories or other countries within the jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy, applicants should enclose a treasurer’s, manager’s or certified check issued by a local bank that has a corresponding bank in the U.S., payable to the courier of choice, in U.S. dollars, to cover cost of mailing, and a corresponding self-addressed courier’s address label. Personal checks are not accepted.

Note: The Philippine Embassy/Consulate General assumes no responsibility for any delay or loss in the mail, or while the documents are in the custody of the courier service. The applicant should note the tracking numbers of all envelopes used and submitted.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/index.php?page=consular-services-dc/faq-dc/

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/uploads/pdfs/birth.pdf

Hope that this can help.

As a previous poster stated . If the child already had US citizenship, why obtain another "citizenship" ?

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I

To my understanding anyone born in US is a US citizen right? entitled to a US passport.

Jus sanguinis (Latin: right of blood) , and Jus soli (Latin: right of the soil).

The US operates primarily on the Jus soli principle. Almost everyone born in the US becomes a US Citizen by birth. Doesn’t matter who your parents are in most cases.

The Philippines, Japan and a number of other countries use the principle of Jus sanguinis. The place of your birth doesn’t matter much at all, the nationality of your mother, or your father, or both parents decide what your birthright nationality is. In a Jus sanguinis country, like the Philippines, you can’t normally become a citizen by virtue of being born here

• Like 1

Terpe
Posted
Posted

Hmm Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I stand corrected and learnt something too. :541:

• Like 1

tbplayer
Posted
Posted

I guess I wasn't very clear on what I want to do...what I am asking is, is there a good reason to register my son in order to get him duel citizenship? yes he will remain a US citizen, but I would really like for him to know and be a part of his mother's culture as well, kind of best of both worlds type thing. So would it be worth going through the paperwork to get him duel citizenship or is he already viewed as filipino by the Philippine government?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

would it be worth going through the paperwork to get him duel citizenship or is he already viewed as filipino by the Philippine government?

For me, anything that will protect and better your child is good. As to the PI Authorities Acknowledging your son, you have to tell them he is here first so the answer I guess is YES do the paperwork. Contact you PI Embassy get the ball Rolling.

Jack P. :)

• Like 1