Visa Requirements For Foreign Students

billten
Posted
Posted

I have a brother-in-law working in Saudi who asked me to find out on behalf of a Jordanian colleague the procedures for applying and getting a student visa to study in USC?

Can he process all the travel docs in Saudi or he needs to come to Cebu and do all the processing in the Philippines?

What is the time required to get the visa?

Anyone who has any experience with this, any information would be welcome...

Bill

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

im sorry i have no idea but why not contact USC direct. they have a few foreign students so they should be will verse on the requirements needed.

sorry!

mariposa
Posted
Posted

me too. Sorry all I know is about 9f student visa... Foreigners who will study here in PI.

billten
Posted
Posted
why not contact USC direct

I did that and they suggested that he should come here on a tourist visa and then take the entrance exam here, and finally apply for the student visa from here. To be honest, that answer seemed a little hinky, pay to come here with no knowledge of if he can actually study or what his requirements are. It sounded like a lazy "just come here and i'll talk to you then" type of thing...

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

Sorry about that. At first glance it does sound unprofessional considering they were supposed to be academics. Unfortunately, a lot of Filipinos are lazy speakers. But if you do a quick trawl at the USC website it amounts to the same thing on a simplified version on the assumption that you already have some pertinent information.

Like, is your BIL’s colleague be enrolling as undergraduate or a post graduate. And what courses he would be interested in enrolling for. As I understand from the website, requirements seems to vary on foreign students, depending on their equivalent qualifications in USC/PI. It doesn’t look straightforward to me – and you have to be specific on prospective students status. Also do not forget to pan in the enrolment dates on various disciplines.

Anyway, have a look at the website yourself. Please note, I have absolutely no idea how to proceed except what I had just read after a quick trawl on the site.

Good luck!

FOREIGN STUDENTS

No foreign student shall be allowed to enrol and make payments unless he can present a clearance issued by the Foreign Students Section of the Office of the Registrar. (Clearance means that the foreign students have renewed their visa, passport, ACR, etc. and are cleared by the local BID). Those foreign students who opt to enrol but have not satisfied the requirements will not be given credits or their names will be submitted to the Department of Immigration and Deportation for appropriate action.

STUDENTS WHO ARE INTERESTED TO ENROL IN COURSE/S OTHER THAN WHAT IS REQUIRED IN THE CURRICULUM, EITHER TO COMPLY WITH THE UNIT REQUIREMENTS FOR HONORS OR FOR OTHER PURPOSES, SHOULD SEEK APPROVAL FROM THE VPAA THROUGH THE REGISTRAR, COLLEGEDEANS/DEPARTMENT CHAIRS WHERE THEY BELONG.

THESE POLICIES/REGULATIONS SHOULD BE STRICTLY OBSERVED AND ENFORCED TO FORESTALL A RECURRENCE OF ADVERSE CASES WHICH THIS OFFICE HAS BEEN RECEIVING; OTHERWISE, WE WILL BE CONSTRAINED NOT TO RECOGNIZE ALL THE UNITS EARNED BY THE RESPECTIVE STUDENTS.

http://uscedu.blogspot.co.uk/p/admission.html

2. Graduate of an International school abroad

Acceptance and Qualifying Exam Results

Authenticated Transcript of Records

Birth Certificate or Family Register

Authenticated Police Record

Passport (photocopy)

SSP/Student Visa

Personal data sheet to be completed during Admission

Clearance to enroll

Two (2) copies of 2x2 photo

http://usc.edu.ph/admissions/international_students.jsp

billten
Posted
Posted (edited)
Good luck!

Thanks Ashanti i really appreciate your responses, BTW i did drill deeper from the links you gave me. From everything i can discover, it does look like a very 'loose' process. I am at a loss how they can expect the student to arrive with no real knowledge of if they will be accepted onto the course (unless EVERYONE with the $ is actually accepted and the entrance exam is just a formality to see if the student can actually read or not!).

Edited by billten

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
Good luck!

Thanks Ashanti i really appreciate your responses, BTW i did drill deeper from the links you gave me. From everything i can discover, it does look like a very 'loose' process. I am at a loss how they can expect the student to arrive with no real knowledge of if they will be accepted onto the course (unless EVERYONE with the $ is actually accepted and the entrance exam is just a formality to see if the student can actually read or not!).

My pleasure ………. Glad to be of help ………….

But I was thinking more about your queries as I just replied to your post without so much thought first time. And living for so long in UK now (longer than I lived in PI) perhaps I got inured to the UK system which for most part is always geared to the convenience of end user. While PI on the other hand is always pot luck and couldn’t careless never mine departments/branches of govt and educational establishment talk to each other. So I guess your experience at USC is just par on course on PI life.

Although in fairness to USC, I have never heard of their foreign student having trouble enrolling as long as they have all the necessary papers and requirements and not because they have dollars.

However, I remember a Singaporean Indian who used to hang out with us in a book club shop along with other mature students. I remember that Indian student as being so cocky and was fun of cutting classes. While we, undergrads used to busily swatting at exam times at the book club, he (Indian) was so blasé about it all and enjoyed himself. The book club was a student waterhole owned by a doctor and nurse wife who opens it up as kind of hobby. The kindly doctor (who was also a teacher) was very cool and likes to mix with young minds. His book club not only had a book exchange but also had games for students to while away their time between class periods. Anyway, while we were busy swatting, the Indian guy would just laugh at us for being so intense and he himself just enjoy playing dart or whatever with his friends.

Then one day, he came to the book club spitting mad. It turns out that in one of his subjects; he gifted the teacher a 23k gold necklace in anticipation of her not failing him. Unfortunately for him, the teacher accepted the gift but still give him a big FAIL grade!

And he was already in warning from his dad for his very poor grades, a failing grade would mean for him to be sent back home for good.

And that would be an end to his happy time days!!!

:hystery:

• Like 3

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
Good luck!

My pleasure ………. Glad to be of help ………….

But I was thinking more about your queries as I just replied to your post without so much thought first time. And living for so long in UK now (longer than I lived in PI) perhaps I got inured to the UK system which for most part is always geared to the convenience of end user. While PI on the other hand is always pot luck and couldn’t careless never mine departments/branches of govt and educational establishment talk to each other. So I guess your experience at USC is just par on course on PI life.

Although in fairness to USC, I have never heard of their foreign student having trouble enrolling as long as they have all the necessary papers and requirements and not because they have dollars.

However, I remember a Singaporean Indian who used to hang out with us in a book club shop along with other mature students. I remember that Indian student as being so cocky and was fun of cutting classes. While we, undergrads used to busily swatting at exam times at the book club, he (Indian) was so blasé about it all and enjoyed himself. The book club was a student waterhole owned by a doctor and nurse wife who opens it up as kind of hobby. The kindly doctor (who was also a teacher) was very cool and likes to mix with young minds. His book club not only had a book exchange but also had games for students to while away their time between class periods. Anyway, while we were busy swatting, the Indian guy would just laugh at us for being so intense and he himself just enjoy playing dart or whatever with his friends.

Then one day, he came to the book club spitting mad. It turns out that in one of his subjects; he gifted the teacher a 23k gold necklace in anticipation of her not failing him. Unfortunately for him, the teacher accepted the gift but still give him a big FAIL grade!

And he was already in warning from his dad for his very poor grades, a failing grade would mean for him to be sent back home for good.

And that would be an end to his happy time days!!!

:hystery:

It's refreshing to see once in awhile that money doesn't talk.
  • Like 1