$1,000 Portable Vacation Home

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Traveling approximately 60 kilometers from Metro Manila to Tanay Municipality in Rizal, I came across a roadside manufacturer of "Bahay Kubo" or native huts. Photographs have been posted. The construction is very good and the price of $1,000 is fantastic. The $1,000 price includes delivery and installation within a 25 kilometers radius. It is very portable. The traditional "bayanihan" rural scene is a group of men delivering a house on their shoulders for a newly married couple. The wife is inside the house looking out the window while it is being transported.

Since there are no RVs in the Philippines, I am thinking of a portable vacation home by the beach. You move the house using a truck after tiring of a particular location. Just pay rent to the landowner or local barangay. The toilet could be an eco-san, which is also portable. Technically it could also serve as a home when running short of money. Cooking is with gas. Sorry. No refrigerator unless you can access an electrical socket.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Since there are no RVs in the Philippines

Article from 2010. Looks like someone is trying to build and sell RV's. Of course the price would be no where near the $1,000 you are talking about.

A few days ago I was having a discussion with a friend about RV' in Philippines. My idea was to use an old jeepney as a build platform

http://www.philstar....ubCategoryId=72

MANILA, Philippines - In a bid to create a strong niche in the trailer and recreational vehicle markets, Carryboy Philippines Inc. has announced that it is launching the Carryboy Caravan Homes by the end of the first quarter. The Caravan Homes are the first of its kind in the Philippine market, and are expected to appeal to families, busy professionals, and leisure or adventure travelers.

“The Carryboy Caravan Homes are designed to ensure convenience, flexibility, and comfort,” said Jun Ylagan, president and chief executive of Carryboy Philippines Inc. “With the Caravan Homes, traveling is not just another road trip – it’s an adventure,” he added.

Carryboy Philippines Inc. is the exclusive local distributor of world-class Carryboy accessories and parts for pick-up trucks, sport utility vehicles, action utility vehicles, and cars. Carryboy is ISO 9001:2000- and TÜV-certified for quality manufacturing and safety.

There are two types of Caravan Homes to suit any lifestyle – the Mobile Home and Motor Home.

The Caravan Mobile Home is a trailer towed by an SUV or pick-up truck. Its body is made of premium fiberglass sheet produced in Germany. The gel-coat surface finish of the sheet acts as a heat insulator, making the Mobile Home comfortable, rustproof, and lightweight. The unit has a built-in double-deck bed, kitchen, and toilet, and can accommodate up to six persons comfortably.

The Caravan Motor Home, on the other hand, “is a recreational vehicle (RV) with a twist,” Ylagan said. “You can think of it as a plush condo-on-the-go,” he explained. The Motor Home has a built-in toilet, shower, and sofa bed. It is also equipped with a microwave oven, a 1.7 cu. ft. refrigerator, and a home theater system with a 20-inch LED TV and DVD player.

“The Carryboy Caravan Homes are perfect for almost any occasion, whether it’s enjoying time with family and friends, exploring places in a whole new way, or even closing important business deals out of town,” Ylagan said. “For instance, people who travel for business will appreciate the Motor Home because it can keep up with their busy lifestyles.”

A recent US study concluded that the so-called “RV lifestyle” is more cost-effective compared with other vacation options. Travel and tourism research firm PKF Consulting, in a study commissioned by the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA), found that a family of four can save up to 74% of their vacation budget using an RV compared with the usual types of vacations in top US destinations.

The Carryboy Caravan Homes can be customized to suit diverse requirements and are easy to maintain. These new outdoor luxuries are now available on an advanced order basis with easy-financing payment schemes through Carryboy Philippines beginning March 2010. For more information, call Carryboy Philippines at 366-7885.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Traveling approximately 60 kilometers from Metro Manila to Tanay Municipality in Rizal, I came across a roadside manufacturer of "Bahay Kubo" or native huts. Photographs have been posted. The construction is very good and the price of $1,000 is fantastic. The $1,000 price includes delivery and installation within a 25 kilometers radius. It is very portable. The traditional "bayanihan" rural scene is a group of men delivering a house on their shoulders for a newly married couple. The wife is inside the house looking out the window while it is being transported.

Since there are no RVs in the Philippines, I am thinking of a portable vacation home by the beach. You move the house using a truck after tiring of a particular location. Just pay rent to the landowner or local barangay. The toilet could be an eco-san, which is also portable. Technically it could also serve as a home when running short of money. Cooking is with gas. Sorry. No refrigerator unless you can access an electrical socket.

Why not use a gas or paraffin fridge?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Why not use a gas or paraffin fridge?

That's a good idea.

I have fond memories of RVs. My wife, two sons and I used one for seven months in Europe. It was a Thomas Cooke camper built on a Mercedes Benz delivery van chassis. We drove to the North Cape in Norway, which is above the Artic Circle during the summer and spent one month in Greece during the winter. This was part of our one year adventure traveling around the world. I was thinking of bringing an RV to the Philippines, but in rural communities, everyone will want to peek inside.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Carryboy Philippines Inc. has announced that it is launching the Carryboy Caravan Homes by the end of the first quarter. The Caravan Homes are the first of its kind in the Philippine market, and are expected to appeal to families, busy professionals, and leisure or adventure travelers.

I might be interested in purchasing one for use at our family farm. Saves me the trouble and headache of building a new farmhouse.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The pics are great! It looks really nice. And I guess the bamboo hold up well in the weather there? (they seem to use it a lot)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
And I guess the bamboo hold up well in the weather there? (they seem to use it a lot)

Yes. Bamboo is an excellent material for construction use in the tropics. I heard they also offer coconut boards, which are stronger and more durable. You do need concrete blocks or pillars for the posts as a preventive measure against termites.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I was in Liloan a few months ago and they had them for sale for p100,000 maybe he saw me when my gf asked the price.