Skin Whitening / Darkening Extremes

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

There have been many posts on the skin whitening habits of Filipinas and most of the men here say they don't care for it, especially when it is extreme.

I am always telling my girlfriend that she will have to let herself brown when she is over here in the US, because all the women here want to be brown and beautiful, and we have thousands of tanning salons.

A story hit the news yesterday about a woman arrested for taking her young daughter into a tanning booth / salon. Perhaps you have seen it. This woman has other problems! So what do you think? Is her brown beautiful? I think her money would be better spend at the psychiatrist! If the link does not work just search for "Tanning bed mother".

http://video.search....m5egktb&newfp=1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for that interesting info OnMyWay ......

Doing a Google on the subject turns up a lot of different and conflicting stories ..... the salon owner says the child did NOT go into the tanning room ..... the mother says she didn't take her child into the tanning room ...... as far as I'm concerned what is the difference from taking her into a tanning salon or allowing her to play out in the sun in a bathing suit at the beach ...... so I guess all mothers that allow their kids to go to the beach and get sun burned or tanned should be charged ...... in a tanning salon at least you can control the amount of tan you get ......

You know I really get so sick of the news media in the US that I want to puke ..... here they have nation wide coverage of this story and the stories that should be made public are keep in the shadows or closets ...... it is so bad I don't even read any news reports anymore and have blocked them from all my home pages ..... only time I read them is when someone posts something ..... then I'll glance at it ..... I personally believe that the current news media in the US is a bunch of hypocritical a*s-holes and I hope and pray that all this stuff they are hiding or refuse to tell the truth to the American people about comes back to bite them in the a*s big time ...... if you really want to do the country a favor go after the big business news medias like they did other big business ...... but wait ... you can't do that because they are on your side and are saying all kinds of nice things about YOU ...... we sure don't want to deregulate them ..... freedom of the press ..... a wonderful thing .... until it is controlled and manipulated by the government .....

IMHO

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
You know I really get so sick of the news media in the US that I want to puke ..... here they have nation wide coverage of this story and the stories that should be made public are keep in the shadows or closets ...... it is so bad I don't even read any news reports anymore and have blocked them from all my home pages ..... only time I read them is when someone posts something ..... then I'll glance at it ..... I personally believe that the current news media in the US is a bunch of hypocritical a*s-holes and I hope and pray that all this stuff they are hiding or refuse to tell the truth to the American people about comes back to bite them in the a*s big time ...... if you really want to do the country a favor go after the big business news medias like they did other big business ...... but wait ... you can't do that because they are on your side and are saying all kinds of nice things about YOU ...... we sure don't want to deregulate them ..... freedom of the press ..... a wonderful thing .... until it is controlled and manipulated by the government ..... IMHO

This deserves another topic but I will say I tend to agree, with a couple of additional notes.

First, after living in Germany and visiting many other countries, it is not only the US that has this problem. Luckily, in Germany I was able to ignore most of it in the German language.

Secondly, since the delivery of news has shifted from broadcast to internet, the associated marketing has shifted as well. Now it is all about clicks and click revenue. If a story about a crazy woman over tanning is bound to get more clicks than a story about a legitimate social issue, that is the one they will promote. As always, it is all about the money.

I admit that I am still a sucker for it sometimes. All humans are curious and the more strange something is, the more we are likely to click on it. That is why so many of the "news" articles on the internet are bizarre attention grabbing items or celebrity gossip. It is the cheapest form of "repeat" journalism that will generate clicks but requires no real skill or expertise to produce. If the audience ignored it and only clicked on legitimate news, the focus on legitimate news would return. I need to follow my own advice, but heck, I like a story about a giant crocodile eating a car, etc., as much as the next guy! :bash:

My pet peeve is that marketing / advertising is intertwined into everything now. You can't look anywhere without some marketing being shoved in your face.

• Like 2