Australian Pensions

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Don't know if this is the right place for it but here goes.

I heard some gossip that in the last federal budget, was the information that anyone living outside Australia for longer than three months would

have their pension stopped.

The guy who told me said that his friend, who is a long time resident of Thailand, was already considering selling up, moving back to Australia,

and just renting in Thailand for periods just long enough to keep his pension secure.

I had always thought that if I keep a base ( an address ) here, I could stay away for however long I liked without risking my pension.

Is this no longer so ?................ Some solid information would be appreciated.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Don't know if this is the right place for it but here goes.

I heard some gossip that in the last federal budget, was the information that anyone living outside Australia for longer than three months would

have their pension stopped.

The guy who told me said that his friend, who is a long time resident of Thailand, was already considering selling up, moving back to Australia,

and just renting in Thailand for periods just long enough to keep his pension secure.

I had always thought that if I keep a base ( an address ) here, I could stay away for however long I liked without risking my pension.

Is this no longer so ?................ Some solid information would be appreciated.

As solid as it gets, does not affect aged pension and has more to do with those who are still required to work. Must admit I only read it quickly.

Media Releases

Tightening income support rules for Australians overseas

Date:

8/05/2012

http://www.jennymack...port_rules.aspx

More info

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/corporate/publications-and-resources/budget/1213/measures/international/10555

• Like 1

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Must read those links more carefully when time permits, but it looks as though the Thai resident should be ok.

He is an ex Brit and has worked in Australia for over 25yrs but not over 35yrs. ( the new period after which the full benefit can be claimed by those living overseas )

I don't know the guy, but I would think his Australian pension only makes up the difference between his British pension and the amount he is eligible for as Australian

aged pensioner. In which case he is not receiving the full Australian pension anyway.

Thanks for the links JGF.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

that may have some helpful info

• Like 1

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the link Bubba.

It's all just too, too confusing for little old me :SugarwareZ-037:

I think I'm going to get myself over to Centrelink and ask about my very own specific case. I'll wait until the information has filtered down to them,

because I'm betting they are some of the most confused people in Australia right now.

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Ok, I've mixed up two separate issues here.

(1) It would seem to be as JGF says, that the aged pension is not affected by the new legislation.

(2) When reading the links I was distracted by seeing the bit about 35yrs being the amount ot time spent working in Australia before being allowed to draw the

full aged pension ( previously it was 25yrs )

Now I have to confess that I am a pom, though I have been here in Australia since 1986. I'm naturalised, have an Australian passport, and I've had the opperation

and everything. I've spent hours in front of the mirror practicing saying things like "G'day" "How'ya doin' cobber?" "No worries, mate" etc.

So I guess my case is similar, in some aspects, to the guy living in Thailand, but he and I should be ok, because the new time period doesn't come into effect until

2014, and anyone retiring before then won't be affected. I'll be long gone ! :565:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Now I have to confess that I am a pom, though I have been here in Australia since 1986. I'm naturalised, have an Australian passport, and I've had the opperation and everything. I've spent hours in front of the mirror practicing saying things like "G'day" "How'ya doin' cobber?" "No worries, mate" etc.

It took a lot of guts to stand up in front of the group and say that. So this time we wont ban you for being a pom :mocking:

Seriously I'm not sure but are you not entitled to a part pension from the UK mate? :)

• Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

GROUP ! ! ! ! ! WHAT GROUP ? ? ? ? I'm devastated. I thought we could keep this between ourselves !

Yes, I'm entitled to part UK pension, and that's a whole new can of worms.

Just to give an indication of how complex the thing is -- If I apply for a UK aged pension whilst living in Australia, it becomes frozen at the time

I first receive it. That is, it's not index linked. So, if they give me (say) $50 a week at age 65, I'd still be getting $50 when I'm age 99.

Now, if I lived in the Philippines ( or a few other countries ) it would be indexed linked. So what happens when I apply for it here, then

move to the Philippines ?

All will be answered, no doubt, when I finally drag my ass into Centrelink. I'm dreading it. I'm sure I'm going to come out more confused

than when I went in. I have other issues which are going to complicate things even further. But lets not go there!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
brad61
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't know about oap..but for those on dsp..I've just got back from Aus on my 13 weeks allowable away...At present they are really cutting down on dsp recipients living overseas..you may not be cut off but you might have to do a please explain about your residency, because your spending more time overseas than is Aus....The 13 weeks will now be cut to an allowable 6 weeks stay overseas, so their more or less making it prohibitive to leave...this new law i beleive is coming in next june/july...Their not targeting everyone at present but some have been asked to do a work assessment to be eligible to still go overseas..so you must have a zero work capacity...Now if you are on dsp you can still receive dsp in a country which Aus has a social security agreement with..check Aus social cecurity agreement countries....Unfortunately asian countries are not part of this except japan/korea but only for oap...and yes Thailand is no exception...to live in one of these agreed countries you must to a work assesment in Aus..so yes things are looking bleak for those a dsp in Aus..As someone wisely said to me 12 months ago when the rumours were circulation about pension restrictions.....Hows your teaching skills !

DSP = Disability support pension

OAP = Old Age Pension

Added by Jollygoodfellow

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
added bit

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I don't know about oap..but for those on dsp..I've just got back from Aus on my 13 weeks allowable away...At present they are really cutting down on dsp recipients living overseas..you may not be cut off but you might have to do a please explain about your residency, because your spending more time overseas than is Aus....The 13 weeks will now be cut to an allowable 6 weeks stay overseas, so their more or less making it prohibitive to leave...this new law i beleive is coming in next june/july...Their not targeting everyone at present but some have been asked to do a work assessment to be eligible to still go overseas..so you must have a zero work capacity...Now if you are on dsp you can still receive dsp in a country which Aus has a social security agreement with..check Aus social cecurity agreement countries....Unfortunately asian countries are not part of this except japan/korea but only for oap...and yes Thailand is no exception...to live in one of these agreed countries you must to a work assesment in Aus..so yes things are looking bleak for those a dsp in Aus..As someone wisely said to me 12 months ago when the rumours were circulation about pension restrictions.....Hows your teaching skills !

DSP = Disability support pension

OAP = Old Age Pension

Added by Jollygoodfellow

Well, it's about bloody time the Oz government stepped in to try and stop some of these a###holes rorting the system.

I have no problem with a person who has a totally legit disability (which absolutely prevents them from working) being left alone to choose where and how they wish to live, but unfortunately their right to do so is being destroyed by the 1000's of bludging bastards who are ripping off the system.

I know of a guy for example who has the DSP for a broken thumb for christ sake! I know another who has NEVER worked in his entire life because he is missing one toe! But somehow he's still able to owner-build a house!It's people like this that just make me sick.

• Like 2