Immigration, The Formal Way

Campero
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Based on reading a lot of the subjects here and on countless other boards, it appears (at least to me, but I could be wrong) that the majority of foreigners that immigrate to the Philippines (majority without Pinay spouse, minority with) just do so on a tourist visa and then play leap frog around when their visa is about to run out, or pay the penalty etc.

How many people actually go through all the paperwork and immigrations procedures, including the $20K or $40K (I think, depending on your age) bank deposit to obtain permanent legal residency before actually going to live there, with proof of income, etc? I mean, you supposedly get the money back after one year, and according to the procedures, that money may be used for a business or for real estate before the 12 month period too.

Due to my often narrow mindedness (I am an engineer, go figure) I think I am missing something, really.

So, what are the advantages/disadvantages to immigrating following proper protocol, or doing it on a tourist visa? Or..........is it a taboo to discuss this here?

Respectfully,

Campero

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

If you are talking about an SRRV visa then here is the latest link to the government website ...... http://www.pra.gov.p...in/srrv_program ....... there are now 4 choices but you may not qualify for the last 2 unless you need medical treatment or a Pilipino expat ...... and I see no where that it mentioned getting your investment back in 1 year .... and if you buy c condo or townhouse it must be $50,000 dollars US (sorry but that is what the site said) ..... which maybe OK if you have that much money laying around ..... you also have to pay $1400 (again their term not mine) which you don't get back and if you elect to just use the deposit it is in a bank of their choice not yours ......

post-11-0-18943000-1337236708_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Campero
Posted
Posted

Mike, cool..........I had that link. I was looking at the SRRV Classic, as I fit into that category and I am over 50.

Of course you have to pay a processing fee for your visa that you will never get back as well.

I am still investigating and trying to figure out what they classify as an investment. I think I will go to the Philippines Embassy here one day soon and make sure.

Regards,

Campero

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have been looking at the SRRV Smile because I am to young for the Classic. I just can't see me screwing around with visa runs and paying for extension after extension. I'd rather do the retirement visa and be done with it.

But hopefully when I get old I can convert my Smile to a Classic and buy a condo for the investment.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

The advantage of the tourist visa is that you aren't heavily invested in the country if you decide its not for you or things go wrong somehow. The Philippines is not for everyone and there are lots of stories of expats getting along just fine for years, and then something happens, they piss off the wrong local, and they're forced to leave the country.

The Philippines is just not stable enough for me to invest that much in a visa.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
So, what are the advantages/disadvantages to immigrating following proper protocol, or doing it on a tourist visa? Or..........is it a taboo to discuss this here?

Why would a visa subject be taboo, lol

Anyway other than the tourist visa the most used is the 13a,not sure why anyone uses the SSRV but I guess there is a reason for it?

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=35

• Like 2