Legally Working In The Philippines As An Expat

samatm
Posted
Posted

So Company A wants me to represent them in the PHils and across APAC. They are concerned about my legal capacity to work and do business here in the Philippines.

Previously I had worked "on paper" for a consulting company in Manila that was a registered Philippine company and my principal company paid them . The manila registrered consulting company then paid me. Convoluted but thats how we did it.

Do I need to jump though those hoops again. I am married to a Filipina. Won't a 13 A visa allow me to work here in Philippines on behalf of the foreign owned business?

• Like 2

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I am 99% sure that a 13A visa will allow you to work legally in the Philippines.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Yes a 13a will allow you to work and there are other visas that allow you to work depending on circumstances just like most countries.

• Like 4

TheMason
Posted
Posted

So Company A wants me to represent them in the PHils and across APAC. They are concerned about my legal capacity to work and do business here in the Philippines.

Previously I had worked "on paper" for a consulting company in Manila that was a registered Philippine company and my principal company paid them . The manila registrered consulting company then paid me. Convoluted but thats how we did it.

Do I need to jump though those hoops again. I am married to a Filipina. Won't a 13 A visa allow me to work here in Philippines on behalf of the foreign owned business?

The 13a lets you work, but if you should really look in to the tax consequences of working in the Philippines. The top tax bracket is 32%. That's quite a chunk, especially if you are also subject to US income tax on top of that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted
The 13a lets you work, but if you should really look in to the tax consequences of working in the Philippines. The top tax bracket is 32%. That's quite a chunk, especially if you are also subject to US income tax on top of that.

There are bilateral treaties to prevent double taxation. You need to consult an accountant on the latest tax treaty between the Philippines and United States government.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
illmill
Posted
Posted

FYI, the USA always taxes you if you make over 90k per year abroad and live overseas. They don't have double taxation agreements like all the other developed countries. But yeah, consult someone who's an expert in this field.