Would Like To Live In The Philippines.

Philnz
Posted
Posted

I am married to a wonderful Filipina and we are thinking of buying a condo or small house in Tagaytay or maybe Batangas.

I will soon be 65 and retire.

If anyone has any good pointers for me it would be much appreciated.

I have been to the Phils twice and found the people nice and did not feel scared at ant point of my visits.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I don't live in Philippines have only visited the past 15 years so take what I say with that in mind. :)

I suggest you don't make any permanent plans until you have rented for a while in that way you and your wife will better understand if the area works well for you.

• Like 4

Philnz
Posted
Posted

Thanks old55

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think the biggest tip anyone could give is to read all our older posts! There is so much great information in there that nobody should ever consider moving to the Philippines without!

• Like 2

Brad616
Posted
Posted

I think the biggest tip anyone could give is to read all our older posts! There is so much great information in there that nobody should ever consider moving to the Philippines without!

Plus 2 on that one

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

just go there and rent on a per month basis, don't sign any long term contracts, try a few places and islands to live and see where you like best...

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thank you Bob,

This post has been reposted a few times but it's worth mentioning again (taken from thread http://www.philippin...why/#entry18471):

Based on my own mistakes as a Filipino, I'm also conducting research to facilitate my return a few years from now. Some things to

think about (list is not all inclusive, maybe some items trivial):

*At your future residence, any chronic insect or rodent infestation

*Any evidence of past flooding or sewage backup due to drainage problems in home or street

*Neighbors drinking session and playing loud karaoke late at night or roosters crooning "My Way" early in the morning

*If willing to purchase house/lot/condo, are the titles clean???

*Noise and environmental pollution to consider just outside your sub-division, such as a pack of dogs barking and running

a gauntlet around their fresh droppings; improper disposal of trash; nearby bars and nightclubs (may traumatize your children)

*Access to public transportation to international schools, hospitals, markets, shopping malls, BOI for visa renewal; airports.

*Peace and order situation in your immediate and regional area; nearest consulate or embassy of your nationality

*CONTROL OF UNINVITED VISITORS

Granted not all items can be satisfied according to my/your preference -- probably need to compromise depending on

your tolerance level

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
dalidali
Posted
Posted

Jake....that is some great information and thank you.

I am sure the same precautions would apply to most anyplace a guy wants to hang his hat.....

Look...learn....listen.....be smart

dalidali

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Residential development is South of Metro Manila towards Batangas, Laguna and Cavite. All the major property developers are purchasing large tracts of former sugarcane fields for conversion to housing projects. Their reasoning is an executive could reside in a place like Tagaytay City, read or sip coffee while his driver takes him to his Makati office within one to two hours. Everyone is counting on the South Express Highway.

Current residential and condo buyers are weekenders and overseas Filipino workers buying a home for their future retirement. The housing projects are empty during weekdays. That's great if you don't like people or if you don't care to move around as part of your retirement. Before you buy or rent in Tagaytay City, experience the inbound traffic into Metro Manila on a typical Sunday afternoon.

Once the overseas Filipino workers return home and after developers sell their properties to an additional 200,000 to 300,000 families, look out. There is only one toll road available to feed everyone into the city. Right now, the buyers are affluent and they own homes in the city. Future buyers will live in the area and commute to the city.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Since moving to the Phills full time I have realised I have a drinking problem.

You see I have two hands to hold the beer but only one mouth to drink with!

• Like 3