Any Us Tax Preparers Out There?

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I'm mulling over studying to become a certified Enrolled Agent so I can be a paid tax advisor/preparer. That would enable me to live/work in the US in the Jan-April time frame and then stay in the Philippines the rest of the year.

I'm wondering about the feasibility of working just that 4 month time frame. Is anyone here currently an EA, or were you one in the past?

• 5 weeks later...
BuckDon
Posted
Posted

Hi

I am heading in that direction. I do have the information on Enrolled Agent since I was going to start my own in January when I got derailed by circumstances. I need to know if they have a Prometric Test Center there in the Philippines because I have someone else there interested in the program

if you can send me a message I can share the information that I have collected

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

This is to advise you that the H&R BLOCK TAX Services is available in the Philippines.

If you need further info, I can provide name/cell# (unless its allowed by forum)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
This is to advise you that the H&R BLOCK TAX Services is available in the Philippines.

Do you mean that they are available to prepare US returns, Phils returns, or both?? Thanks!

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Do you mean that they are available to prepare US returns, Phils returns, or both?? Thanks!

The informantion I have, is this person does the US taxes.

I have not spoken to him directly, ALL i know that he connected with H&R block(here in theRP) and can help w/US tax returns,

TheMason
Posted
Posted

The informantion I have, is this person does the US taxes.

I have not spoken to him directly, ALL i know that he connected with H&R block(here in theRP) and can help w/US tax returns,

There is a difference between an enrolled agent and a tax preparer. EA's are authorized to represent you in any proceedings with the IRS and are legally able to represent themselves as tax advisors. There is a rigorous testing and certification process before you can become an EA.

There are currently no federal guidelines for tax preparer qualifications. Anybody who can get someone to trust them can prepare tax returns for a fee. Paid tax preparers are often woefully unqualified and do nothing more than step you through tax prep software available on the open market. IMHO, you're better off buying tax prep software and doing it yourself than using a paid preparer.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Jim Boyd is a IRS rep up in Angeles but I understand he is getting up in years ..... not sure how long he will continue ...... by the way he got us our ITIN number or at least did all the paperwork ..... the IRS gave us the ITIN number ... :mocking: