Marijuana Smoking Days With The 'choom Gang'

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

And yet this is still illegal for people who are NOT the president? (My comment)

Barack Obama's marijuana smoking days with the 'Choom Gang'

Barack Obama is not the first President of the United States to confess to experimenting with recreational drug-use in those heady days before the gruelling demands of Washington took over.

However, while Bill Clinton notoriously "didn't inhale" at Oxford, Mr Obama took an altogether more enthusiastic approach to smoking marijuana in his youth, according to a new biography.

As a secondary school pupil in Honolulu, Hawaii, in the late 1970s, Mr Obama is said to have been a member of the "Choom Gang", a group of boys who played basketball and choomed, or smoked dope.

"Barry Obama was known for starting a few pot-smoking trends," according to David Maraniss, a Pulitzer Prize-winning author. "The first was called 'TA,' short for 'total absorption'." Mr Obama's favoured technique is described as "the antithesis" to Mr Clinton's eyebrow-raising claim to have barely participated in – and certainly not enjoyed – smoking the drug as a Rhodes scholar at University College from 1968 to 1970.

Any Choom Gang members caught daring to exhale before absorption was total "were assessed a penalty" and faced being "skipped the next time the joint came around," according to 'Barack Obama: The Story'.

All told, the future president is said to have been a bit of a drag. "When a joint was making the rounds, he often elbowed his way in, out of turn, shouted 'Intercepted!,' and took an extra hit," said Maraniss.

He also reportedly popularised "roof hits" after smoking in cars with the windows closed: "When the pot was gone, they tilted their heads back and sucked in the last bit of smoke from the ceiling."

Former members recalled to Maraniss that the gang's favoured vehicle was a "Volkswagen bus, also known as the Choomwagon", that belonged to fellow member Mark Bendix.

The disclosures are unlikely to harm Mr Obama politically. In addition to a relaxation in attitudes towards soft drugs since Mr Clinton's confession 20 years ago, voters knew when they elected him in 2008 that Mr Obama had also tried cocaine while a university student in New York.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Frankly I don't so much hold the past against him or Bush or Clinton. Gota admit I smoked weed in the Army in SE Asia nearly forty years ago.

Bush Jr and Barry have proven to be poor leaders at a time the States desperately needs clear leadership.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I will admit that I did not nor have I ever smoke marijuana...

I am allergic to it and only have to smell a faint whiff of the smoke to reach an "intense stone"!

High school was so much fun!!!

:mocking:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

At one point I seriously looked at using cannabis (marijuana) medicinally if my cancer treatment required chemo or radiation therapy. What really disgusts me is the hypocrisy of Obama having lived that lifestyle yet cracking down even more than Bush on medical MJ, especially after he campaigned that if he were President he would end the fed raids on medical marijuana in states which have made it legal. Instead he has further amped up the war on drugs. Just look at all the deaths in Mexico related to the drug cartels and the huge profits in black market drugs.

Ending the war on drugs is an issue I am very passionate about and I could go on and on about it. But I will refrain from saying more unless others are interested.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Ending the war on drugs is an issue I am very passionate about

Truthfully, that is the direction I expected this thread to take when I started it. How can a president (and his cronies who have undoubtedly done similar things) maintain a war on soft drugs when they have done it themselves?

New slogan: Just say NO! After all, it may stop you from being president one day . . um I guess that is no longer true. . it may ruin your brain so you cannot get a good job . . um I guess that is not true either . . it may ruin your health . . um Obama seems pretty healthy and happy . . ahhh . . . . . Just say: I'll decide what is best for me, same as the president did!

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will admit that I did not nor have I ever smoke marijuana...

I am allergic to it and only have to smell a faint whiff of the smoke to reach an "intense stone"!

High school was so much fun!!!

:mocking:

Well Bob ..... I'm just the apposite of you ..... regular pot never did nothing to or for me ..... now rub a little hash oil on the paper and wala ..... instant party time ..... also drinking a little (OK a lot) of Annie Greenspring ... Ripple ..... Boone's Farm or Cold Duck and it didn't matter what you smoked ....... the lights all glowed and there was piece in the valley .............. :540: :540: :mocking: :cheersty:

Unlike Billy Boy I can't say I didn't inhale ....... BUT ..... I haven't had a drink in almost 8 years and haven't smoked (anything) in over 30 .... strange how your desires change as you get older ...... :mocking:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Even to this day, you will hear arguments about whether the "soft drug" marijuana is a gateway to harder and more

dangerous drugs. Here in California, the argument continues whether to legalize medical marijuana, impose state

taxes and put the Mexican drug cartel out of business.

I strongly support the initiative to relax the laws against the personal use of the weed. I was exposed to it back in

the late 60's while on active duty in the US Navy. The hippie Flower generation of make love not war and free love.

I had a lively discussion about where it all started. My theory was the ancient cave man was caught down wind of

a major forest fire and soon discovered how to kick back and smell the roses. Can you imagine marijuana plants

with tree trunks as thick as your leg?

I stopped smoking it a long time ago for the sake of my family -- Jake

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The use of marijuana will lead to more illegal drug use for the younger crowd... Why? Because the thrill of getting stoned and at the same time doing something illegal! Why not try doing something else illegal? If it was regulated more like alcohol, that blows that theory out the window, right? Making the soft drugs illegal just make them something the kids want to do more... Kind of like sneaking in and being a regular at the local bar at 14... Oops! I mean.... uhmmm.... :mocking:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The use of marijuana will lead to more illegal drug use for the younger crowd... Why? Because the thrill of getting stoned and at the same time doing something illegal! Why not try doing something else illegal? If it was regulated more like alcohol, that blows that theory out the window, right? Making the soft drugs illegal just make them something the kids want to do more... Kind of like sneaking in and being a regular at the local bar at 14... Oops! I mean.... uhmmm.... :mocking:

That is called the forbidden fruit theory. That what is not allowed becomes more enticing because it is forbidden.

I have spoken at high schools. If you ask HS students the question how many of you could go get alcohol in the next 30 minutes. A few would raise their hand. If you ask the same question about marijuana alot of hands go up.

Ask a cop how many times they get called to a domestic dispute where alcohol is involved or how many fights between drunks they have had to break up. Then ask them how often they have to do the same for marijuana.

• Like 3