The Underwear Experience

retired
Posted
Posted

In the spirit of frivolity i offer my following experience yesterday at a local department store . I do however attest to the fact that it did happen and it did help me through the never ending culture shock one encounters when living abroad .

Roaming around a department store here in Cagaya de Oro basically just looking and , of course , allowing the lady staff to follow me around for one of two reasons . Either i will spend big because i am white or they are just curious . Actually , i left out reason numer three because i know my wife will see this . Proceed to pick up a 3 pack of mens briefs . Went with the Burlington Industries brand from North Carolina , USA because i grew up with their products and know their quality and value .

Now , i had last bought this product a few months ago and it was 300 Peso , not on sale . I do see a sticker on a package saying 300 peso so i assume the packs without the sticker are also 300 peso . Get to the cashier , the girl rings the purchase and 560 pops up . Whoa ! Now , i am fully aware of inflation but thats a bit much even for . Girl goes to check the pice , returns , and says 560 is correct .

I point out to her that the sticker i saw said 300 peso . She then says to me with an enduring straight face " that's for the size 30 " . Now , i haven't worn a size 30 for quite a while now . So , i proceed to engage in a little pursuit i sometimes enjoy called the logic game . I am reasonably good at it but few Filipinos are and i always like the outcome even though i generally win the battle but lose the war . :-)

So , i say to her - " So this means that the 6'6 guy has to pay more for his pants than the 5'6 guy because the 6'6 guy's pants require more material , right ? Now , this is where the fun part starts . Soon there are 3 lady clerks speaking in a hushed tone , no doubt not to offend the foreigner . meanwhile , as their discussion ensue i pick up a pair of socks nearby .

• Like 1

retired
Posted
Posted

Cont..

Oops , i gotta replace this sticking keyboard .

I then ask why is the short pair of socks the same price as the longer pair of socks ? Some giggling occurs and then it's off to find a higher up . The higher ups are always older and most often matronly ladies that remind you of your first grade teacher or the like . The stern face lady then proceeds to explain to me that the price is correct . By now , we have 6 clerks gathered nearby and i am thoroughly enjoying myself . :-)

Bout this time i spy a security guy ambling towards us so i decide the game has to end because all the players don't know the rules , of which there aren't any . Discretion being the better part of valor i return the underwear and buy the socks .

And , how was your day ?

• Like 5

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Bout this time i spy a security guy ambling towards us so i decide the game has to end because all the players don't know the rules

yes this can happen to us who dont know that a size 36/38 could cost more than a size 30/32 etc etc.

I have made it a point to know who the "security" guy(civilain guards) is in the stores I shop..

So my the slight chance i have an issue, at least i MAY have someone on my side,

ALSO always ask and reask if thats the RIGHT/correct price.

the DTI rules states the in case on 2 prices(sticker , the register) the lowest price is the RIGHT one.

In the past, i HAVE carried the DTI consumer pamphlet.not to be a smart Axx but to know what my "rights"

albeit ,limited so i dont get taken advantaged of and to keep my cool.

Edited by Call me Bubba

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Cont..

I then ask why is the short pair of socks the same price as the longer pair of socks ? Some giggling occurs and then it's off to find a higher up . The higher ups are always older and most often matronly ladies that remind you of your first grade teacher or the like . The stern face lady then proceeds to explain to me that the price is correct . By now , we have 6 clerks gathered nearby and i am thoroughly enjoying myself . :-)

Bout this time i spy a security guy ambling towards us so i decide the game has to end because all the players don't know the rules , of which there aren't any . Discretion being the better part of valor i return the underwear and buy the socks .

And , how was your day ?

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :thumbsup: With all this, it is Great BUT! I am supposed to be Sorting and Packing. Only a Brownout, is going to stop me reading today I fear

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Cont..

And , how was your day ?

Hello Retired,

Wow, you know how to tease your readers, don't you? You had me anticipating to near climax and yet

you prolong the agony.....in this case, the agony is good.....he, he.

I was wondering if they have a condom section in Mercury Drug store where you could ask the pretty

assistance to explain "good, better, best".

Yeah, I have that problem with a sticky keyboard too.....he, he. My day was well spent, thank you!

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Cont..

And , how was your day ?

Hello Retired,

Wow, you know how to tease your readers, don't you? You had me anticipating to near climax and yet

you prolong the agony.....in this case, the agony is good.....he, he.

I was wondering if they have a condom section in Mercury Drug store where you could ask the pretty

assistance to explain "good, better, best".

Yeah, I have that problem with a sticky keyboard too.....he, he. My day was well spent, thank you!

Jake you can buy covers for the keyboard haha
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

When my GF does the laundry she uses bleach on the whites ok thats fine. But she manages to get it all over the rest of the laundry and my underwear has blotches all over them looks very suspicious.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

When my GF does the laundry she uses bleach on the whites ok thats fine. But she manages to get it all over the rest of the laundry and my underwear has blotches all over them looks very suspicious.

Yeah Kevin, I've been using that excuse for a long time now. Perhaps, as you suggested I can now use

the botched underwear to clean the keyboard, LCD and computer chair.....he, he.

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Retired, thanks for the story, I got a good laugh. I retold it to my wife who used to work retail. She says that was normal, that many times they put the sizes that aren't selling on sale. I would think that the smaller size would be more popular but what do I know. Anyway, that's just one of many possible reasons.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Could be a Kano tax in disguise.

• Like 2