Extended Tourist Visa ... What Can Be Done With It ??

Cyrus
Posted
Posted

I understand that one can come to the Philippines on a Tourist Visa, initial 21 day visa-on-arrival extended for another 39 days to make 2 months, and then every 2 months extended again and again up to 2 years, at which time the person would have to leave the Philippines and re-enter to start again.

Is my information correct ?

Also, my question is :

What type of normal living conveniences can be had with such a visa arrangement :

such as the need ... to open a bank account and obtain credit/debit cards ... get a driver's license to ride a bike or drive a car ... proper paperwork needed to buy a bike or a car .... to rent an apartment long-term ... are utilities usually transferred in the renter's own name, as it is in the US ?... etc ???

Can all these be done while on an extended Tourist Visa ??

I apologize if my questions are too basic, and if there are already threads where all these questions are answered, I would really appreciate it if you would guide me to them, thank you !

MikeB
Posted
Posted

You can stay up to 16 months on a tourist visa, then you have to leave the country. You can get an extension to 24 months, you can research the details on how to do that. A lot of banks require an ACR card to open an account, some don't. I opened an acct at BPI w/o one but I had someone who had an acct with me. You get the ACR card at your 1st renewal. You can do all the things you listed on a tourist visa. I have rented 2 apts and a house and in all 3 cases the utilities (elec and water) were in the owner's name and I paid the bills.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

obtain your VISA before hand and SAVE $$$$$

thanks to JJR for the topic start

utilities in your own name? try a self root canal treatment that would be easier

opening a bank account. TRY BPI, if one branch says NO, try another,

WHY BPI? its more "friendly" and they have 24/7 cash deposits which allow you to deposit your $$ (pesos) anytime, unlike the others . they only allow deposits during banking hours.

CREDIT CARDS(local issue) rarely can a NON native or one on a "tourists visa" can obtain a card

HOWEVER you can try with a "secured"card. that most banks provide, you put up X and your credit line is 80 % of the X,

about cars/bikes I cant answer as I dont have ,

in this traffic its like MAD MAX, i would have to be OUT of my MIND(which i think i already have ) to drive in this traffic unless it was a APC-m113

Altho none on this forum has, Some Expats hire drivers as this would reduce your exposure to any liability,

and yes :thumbsup: most of your questions have already been answered in previous postings,

please feel FREE to ask as we/us (FM) are glad to share our info, our experiences

but not those experiences :hystery: OK

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I drive and for what I was told by BI is that you can own a car as long as you are a perm resident.

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I bought a motorbike and had it registered on my first trip as a tourist so i don,t believe that is a problem

• Like 1

adventureguy
Posted
Posted

I drive and for what I was told by BI is that you can own a car as long as you are a perm resident.

Wrong! They gave you some bad info dude!
  • Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Can you explain that better Adventure ? I bought a bike and transfered it in to my name . I am the registered owner on a tourist visa .

I want to buy a car as well

adventureguy
Posted
Posted

Can you explain that better Adventure ? I bought a bike and transfered it in to my name . I am the registered owner on a tourist visa .

I want to buy a car as well

You do not need to be a permanent resident to own a car. It is no different than the bike you already bought.
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I bought a motorbike and had it registered on my first trip as a tourist so i don,t believe that is a problem

Now you registered it as a tourist, will you have to get the extensions at the 59 day mark or are you looking into a 13A for the bike. :hystery:

Sorry the devil made me post it. :)

• Like 3