Improvements In The Philippines

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

I moved here in October 2005 and have noticed a few improvements here. My internet has gotten more reliable. The power outages from VECO have also been occuring less often. We have a modern grocery store in our town now. I hope things keep improving. What have you noticed getting better?

Edited by M.Morey

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gee how far back do you want to go? When I came here in 1983 there were few private vehicles on the street, just Jeepnys tricycles and buses. Traffic was a little better I supose because there were fewer vehicles on the streets. Mostly the rich people in Manila or American Military had private cars. Few people had phones. You would see one family on a block with a black and white TV and many neighbors looking in the doors and windows to watch. There was one McDonalds in Angeles and everything else was in Manila. The only Malls were in Manila and they were pretty small. Movie theatres were the big single screen ones and every one I was ever in was infested with cats, roaches and Rats. (Sit near the cats because they chase away the rats)Toilet with a seat SugarwareZ-011.gif in your house or in bars that cater to foreigners sometimes. A jeepney ride was 1 peso (actually .85 but what would you do with .15?) SMG was P2.00 at the Sari Sari and deposit for the bottle was P2.50.So other than the price for Beer and Jeepney rides I think just about everything else has improved. There are still many poor and unemployed but I think economicly things are better since my first visit.

Edited by tom_shor

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted
I moved here in October 2005 and have noticed a few improvements here. My internet has gotten more reliable. The power outages from VECO have also been occuring less often. We have a modern grocery store in our town now. I hope things keep improving. What have you noticed getting better?
A lot. Premier League on ESPN and Star. Bandwidth. Grocery selectionRestaurant selectionTaxi drivers won't rip you off anymoreWine selectionOr to sum it up: Selections. It's easier to live a luxurious western lifestyle for a fraction of the western price. Before you could lead a luxurious philippino lifestyle for a fraction of the western price. My understanding of the philipino culture has also improved a lot, that's important for everyone visiting RP. I worship every single day.Walk on,Panserhansen

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Over the past 12 years things seem cleaner overall. Still a lot of work to do. Air polution seems worse in Manila and Cebu City.Bo's and Starbucks!Every year the Filipinas seem to look better and better!

• 2 months later...
Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

If you want to see differences in one section of Banilad, Cebu over 11 years, watch this video. It was filmed originally in 1994 then filmed from the same spot in 2005.http://www.philippines-experience.com/vide...efore_after.wmvRegards: Jim Sibbick

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

There has been so many things that I would not know where to start. I guess all the high rise buildings going up in Cebu is one of the main things and a lot of the old buildings are either getting replaced with new ones or refaced, so Cebu and other places are starting to look more modern. Next of course would be Ayala Terraces, where a person can find just about any type of restaurant with many more coming in the near future. People seem healthier, as well as taller and heavier and that is good for us because things will then have to be made to fit them and therefore fit us better. SugarwareZ-004.gif The airports keeps getting better and better and planes are flying to more destination.The transportation seems to be improving and the pollution in Cebu is not as bad IMO since they started using the natural gas taxis.As Mike said, the power is more reliable and so is the dsl and cable, and now they hardly go out at all.More stores mean more competition and will eventually lead to lower prices and I already see that in some of the computer accessory stores in Cebu and in Cagayan de Oro. More product availability in the malls and specialty stores makes life in the Philippines easier to get used to for us.OK, I will quit now and lets hear from some other people what changes they have seen.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Well, let see. Back in '65 when I arrived 90% of all roads were dirt/gravel but then you could count cars passing on both hands over an hour or so. I remember being able to drive from Cavite city to the Embassy in Manila in 20 minutes. 95% of all cars were owned by American Military and were the large tanks of yesteryear.A Jeepney ride was 10 centovos, you could take a "special" having the jeepney to yourself for 1 peso. The exchange rate was P3.80 to $1.00Beer in the Sari Sari was 50 centovos, in the Clubs in Manila 1 peso, and in Olongapo you got a beer and a juke box tokin for a peso. You could also buy San Mugu (only beer available) for $7.60 a case. You could get a coke or pepsi for 15 centovos, deposit was 10 centovos. Normally people poured it into one of those long plastic bags used for making ice and got a straw. Never mind the bottle. You could get a full time live in maid for P20-50 a month. one day off per week if you were nice. You could actually trust the maid to not steal things.There was no electricity outside very large cities like Manila. The only TV was in and around Manila and it was Black and White until I think late 66 or 67. The Ice vendors came by daily to bring your ice for your "icebox", The better off had Ice Boxes. The only imported food available was what was blackmarketed off the military bases. By the way, that was big business for some. American ciggs were 3 peso a pack and local ciggs were 1 peso a pack.With no TV, Filipinos not living in Manila or very large cities were still basicly living in the 18th century (and were very happy I might add). You can't miss things you don't know exist. That was the situation. Many women outside big cities did not even know what a bra was.There was still much talk about statehood the "for and against" arguements were alive and well.When looking for housing, you didn't look for "air con" as you do now, you were happy if it had screens and maybe windows with glass.A shorttime in Subic City was p5.00, barfine was p7.00. in Cavite City barfine was P7.00-P10.00. in Olongapo usually P10.00 in Manila from P20-40.00 But a smooth talker could still wait until midnight and bypass the barfines all together in most cases.Guess that cover most of what I remember... Now for all the new modern things people rave about like malls...not sure consider all that improvements...but that's just me. If I wanted the PI to be like the states, I would just plan on staying here instead of going back to the Philippines.

• Like 1