Retirement In Batangas

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I am seeking some information about retiring to Batangas (but not limited to there), as I have been told it is very pleasant lifestye. I have been to Phils on a couple of occasions and will go and check Batangas out before making final decision. Any advise regarding accommodation costs (2br. apartment near water), utilities, medical, safety, transport etc. would be greatly appreciated.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

The expansion of Metro Manila is South in the direction of Batangas, Laguna and Cavite. There are many gated communities being developed. Their main market are Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who are buying house & lot or condominiums for their future retirement. Because the properties sold are empty and owners have to pay both the monthly installments and association fees, some property owners are including rental services as part of their presentations. Ask around, including the offices of the property developers.

I am working on a project of bringing persons with Alzheimer's to the Philippines. Specific to Batangas:

During a trip last April, I visited a development offering a house and small farmlot for a vegetable garden in Lipa City. We got back to my hotel in about one hour inspite of some traffic on the expressway due to a minor accident. I forgot to asked for the location of the hospital.

Another gated community I visited is located on Taal Lake. The rental rates are high for two bedroom units because they are trying to promote themselves as a hotel/resort. Their plans include a small hospital for cosmetic surgery, but some beds will be allocated for retirees.

A third one is a large development with over 400 hectares. Their advantage is the developer also owns a beachside resort in Nasugbu, Batangas. He is offering a free shuttle service during weekdays. Their beach is filled during weekends so they have more than enough visitors. Tagaytay City Hospital is nearby.

If you reside within a gated community, no problem with security. The developers usually have powerful connections. They are very protective so no one messes with their residents. I met with the owners of all three resorts mentioned. All were reassuring when it came to the issue of security.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
A third one is a large development with over 400 hectares. Their advantage is the developer also owns a beachside resort in Nasugbu, Batangas. He is offering a free shuttle service during weekdays. Their beach is filled during weekends so they have more than enough visitors. Tagaytay City Hospital is nearby.

This sounds interesting. I might be looking at Tagaytay more closely. My impression is that it costs a bit more to live there than other places. I like the cooler weather but I need my beach and SCUBA to be available. Can you share the name?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

The developer has three projects:

Canyon Woods Residential Resort

Canyon Woods Retirement Communities

Canyon Cove Residential Beach Resort

The difficulty confronting this property developer and others is that many buyers are the more affluent Overseas Filipinos Workers. The purchase is for the OFW's eventual return many years from now. What the developer wants from me is, "warm bodies."

At the beginning of our marketing, we will be narrowly focused to providing Alzheimer's care. The test group is the 31,000 known Alzheimer's cases in Hawaii. Because the disease usually strikes older persons in their 80s, chances are the primary caregiver (son or usually a daughter) is already retired. The family member with Alzheimer's will be cared for by the staff. This permits the primary caregiver and/or other family members to enjoy the Philippines.

Attached are photographs of the building I am being offered to market. My Philippine associates are negotiating the rates and providing healthcare services (medical doctor, registered nurses, certified nurse aides, cooks, housekeepers, etc.) But before they do that, I want to launch the website and determine if there is interest in the concept. At least for the person with Alzheimer's, we have already calculated the costs. It will be $1,500 to $3,500 depending on facility and level of care. The Philippine Retirement Authority is hot on the idea because we will produce the largest number of job in the retirement market. The calculation is 7 to 9 using the multiplier effect.

post-1632-0-51994100-1339966575_thumb.jp

post-1632-0-18642200-1339966588_thumb.jp

post-1632-0-93687000-1339966605_thumb.jp

Edited by JJR

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thanks JJR

Some valuable information there. I have exposure to Alzimers as my mother has had it for many years. A very noble cause your are pursuing. A good target market might be Australia, as aged care is ridiculously expensive over there, but of course, the issue of a family member availability is an issue.

I would be looking to rent initially and wonder if you can advise what sort of rentals would be the average in the area.

Sounds like rental should not be a problem down in that area.

Ron

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I was told that you can rent a 3 or 4 bedroom house at another gated community in the area for less than USD 1,000. Those with boots on the ground would have a better feel whether rental prices are high or reasonable.

We are still at the concept stage. The first step is to determine if families are willing to relocate loved ones and possibly themselves to the Philippines. My plan is to promote the concept and see what happens.

A close friend was furious after visiting her mother at a nursing facility in Australia. The facility looked great, but the care level was inferior. The staff would bring a food tray to the room and take it out without even looking if the food was touched. Her mother was also severely dehydrated. She wanted to transport her mother to Manila, but the doctor said she was no longer fit to travel. Our friend is married to a successful local businessman she could easily afford hiring three full-time nurses to provide round the clock personalized care.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

If given a choice and I had a loved one with Alzheimers, or I was looking for a retiremnt home, I would prefer one that was by the ocean, and unfortunately most developments in Cavite, and going South from Manila are not.

Just my thoughts.

Papa Carl

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

f given a choice and I had a loved one with Alzheimers, or I was looking for a retiremnt home, I would prefer one that was by the ocean, and unfortunately most developments in Cavite, and going South from Manila are not.

My strategy is start a website as a test market with a few examples of available facilities. The first group selected are in the highlands where it is much cooler than the cities. The second reason is good hospitals within 30 to 40 minutes, and a world class facility, Asian Hospital within 60 to 75 minutes. If the response is families would prefer oceanside facilities, It will be added to the list.

The government's preference is rural areas to generate badly needed employment opportunities. World Bank financing is available through soft loans for projects involving tourism. The strong push for tourism is because projects are lower impact on the environment, foreign exchange earners and you need lots of employees. My projects are niche markets including agritourism, medical tourism, and retirement tourism. I am not going to become involved in property development (with the exception of the family farm) nor in providing healthcare services. My role is marketing. I need to find out if there is any interest at all. The goal is for one of three projects to prosper.

Edited by JJR

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

For what it's worth, I have been to Canyon woods. It is a nice development with newer, westernstyle houses and a golf course, club house etc. However the name is apt in this case. If you like to walk for your exercise be ready for hills. The depelopment (or parts that I saw) are built on the sides of pretty steep hills. My Asawa and I joke now every time we are in a hilly region. "this is like canyon woods!"