Bandwith Testing

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Has anyone other than me found the Speedtest.net from Globe to be kinda strange .... I have a handful of other sites and Globes site always shows a higher Mbps rate then the others .... unless you go to a site in the US then it is lower ..... the Globe tech's always want you to use Speedtest and none of the others .... is there a reason for it (like maybe it favors Globe) ..... I had to have the tech come out the other day as my speed went down to .444 instead of the normal 2Mbps I was getting .... he called Globe and mysteriously my broadband jumped to 2.05Mbps .... but he insisted we check it on Speedtest .... I discovered my signal loss when I could no longer watch streaming movies at night ..... even movies at a 600 bitrate .... I tried a dozen other IP's before I called them ..... interesting what kind of results you get with different IP addresses ..... one of them would not even load FireFox ..... said unknown address ..... the guy was nice enough and we gave him a C2 tea before he left ..... can never tell when you might need him again ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: up until then my bandwidth has been pretty stable :dance:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Your ISP will want to use a bandwidth speed test that goes to them so they can verify the speed of the connection between you and your ISP, this is verifying your DSL/Cable speed. Any speed tests that go beyond your ISP introduces other networks into the test which your ISP may not be responsible for.

Now if you have good bandwidth to your ISP but still have slow bandwidth everywhere else beyond your ISP it may be that your ISP does not have enough bandwidth out to the rest of the internet. This typically happens if they have a problem with their network connection out to the rest of the internet or they have too many subscribers.

For the more technically inclined there is a utility that can help identify what part of the network is slow called traceroute. I use this on Unix like operating systems when there is a network issue and I am not sure where on the network the problem is. I am sure there are similar utilities to traceroute for Windows. (I don't do Windows)

• Like 3