Best Site For Airfare Deals

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I,m always looking at flight prices and have found they vary a huge amount depending on time of year as well as departure points .

So far the best prices always come up on Trip Adviser often hundreds less . Trip adviser has only been in the airline prices for a year or so but check them out next time to compare . October is the cheapest time of year to fly out of Canada . I have also found a short notice ticket can be very cheap sometimes . I could leave for Cebu on thursday for 1600 return . Or wait untill October for 1100 return .

• Like 1

Sydnet
Posted
Posted

what web site do you use to find the best prices i find skyscanner wedsite the best from aus to china but there has be other help us out here it cold down in melbourne australia right now

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Sorry its .........TRIP ADVISER Not sure if links are allowed

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Normally I use Travelocity. This trip I have used Budgetair.com Both pretty good. But KAYAK seem to offer good value too.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

know your FARE BASIS. this way you can refine your search ,and save $$$$

this may take a few extra minutes but it can help you now & in your future travels.

what is the fare basis?

here are 2 links with partial info so it can educate/inform you

Cracking the Fare Basis Code

Fare basis (or fare codes) are typically identified by a character, such as F, A, J, or Y. For example, letters such as "L, M, N, Q, T, V, and X" usually refer to discounted economy class tickets, while code such as J and C refer to business class, and F to first class.

Usually, after the first letter specifying the fare class (such as Q or Y) is another set of characters. These follow-on characters usually specify other characteristics of the ticket, such as refundability or minimum stay requirements. Some airlines only have one or two characters (such as "YL") while other have more.

.http://businesstravel.about.com/od/faqs/g/Glossary-Fare-Basis.htm

The fare basis code provides information about the specific fare in addition to the class of service required for booking. Every published fare has a fare basis code, and this code appears on the ticket in the fare basis box. More than one fare, and thus more than one fare basis code, may exist for each class of service for booking. For example, two fares for H class may exist - one for midweek travel and one for weekend travel. Consider a return fare across the country with fare basis code HL7LNR. The first letter H refer to the class of service for booking (H class). The L refers to low season, the 7refers to the requirement for 7-day advance booking, the next L refers to long-haul, and the NR means non-refundable. The fare would presumably be different if it were 14- days in advance or if it were high season. In that case both the fare and the fare basis code would be different.

http://www.travelterminal.com/whatsinafare.shtml

these are 2 links that I have found to be useful recently, maybe this can assist someone

www.itasoftware.com

http://travel.nytime...n-2012.html?hpw

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

As for Australia to Philippines, I go direct to the airlines as I usually know what I'm looking for and the search sites only bring up the same thing that I will eventually find anyway but I can often find special deals.. I only check out either Jetstar, Air Asia, Tiger Airways, Cebu Pacific, PAL and I might check a couple of the search sites in case Qantas etc have a special deal on.

I use Cebu Pacific & Pal when flying domestic in the Philippines and also CP for stop over flights to and from Singapore.Malaysia etc. Air Asia can have some good deals but not all the way to the Philippines and by the time I found connecting flights and all the hassle it was actually cheaper just to get a direct flight with Jetstar this time for my next flight in a few weeks. I do searches to cover a range of days as often the prices can change dramatically over a few days to a week or more. It becomes an art form on learning how to find the best deals but I'm really quite new to it myself.

adventureguy
Posted
Posted

If you guys really want to know how to get the best airfare deals, then check out this article http://www.philippinestraveladvice.com/cheap-flights-to-manila.html

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It seems to me that all the mainstream sites show all the mainstream airlines. In fact, when I asked my travel agent about it, she said that travel agents do not deal with most budget airlines and regional carriers. So if you don't mind setting up your own itinerary, google Top Ten Budget Airlines or Top Ten Regional Carriers and see if any of them will help you.

Example: I take a budget airline to Vancouver Canada, a mainstream airline to Hong Kong, and a budget carrier to Cebu. A travel site or agent would not set it up for me because they just don't get the commissions. I think a lot of homework is required depending where you live and where you want to go.

And this all depends if you fee comfortable on discount airlines. The do go broke sometimes and then you don't get your money back and the travel agent says: I told you so.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was browsing the budget airlines (the ones that do not appear on standard travel sites) and found this list. It may be useful for some who like to do their own flight planning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_low-cost_airlines

GeorgeRoberts
Posted
Posted