Is Satellite Internet Available In The Philippines?

Americano
Posted
Posted

Does anyone living in the Philippines have Satellite Internet? If so, what speed does it offer and what is the month fee? And, who is the provider?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

yes there is service available,and PRICEY. so if you really need the service & have the $$ then go, or

Consider 1st if you live outside the city BUT near a CELL TOWER you can have "wireless" service without having

Satellite Internet.. GLOBE,SMART & SUN are the main providers,

Very Few people use Satellite Internet. Mostly the "wireless" sticks.

IF YOU Live way. way off the grid, then Satellite Internet would be the one for you to use,

here are 4 of the providers

• Bgan

• Bgan is the World's most sophisticated satellite Internet service. Bgan uses a variety of small lightweight portable satellite terminals which allow travelers and remote users to connect to the internet in places like Philippines without the need of infrastructure such as phone lines, cellular networks or Wi-Fi hotspots. With Bgan you just take out you small portable modem and point it to the sky to connect at speeds of up to 492 Kbps.
  • Rbgan
  • Thuraya
  • Iridium

http://www.tempestco...x?Id=165&view=3

Also you may consider

DREAM (VSAT)SATELLITE TV as it has internet

IP STAR

satellite.jpg

PRICING FOR INDIGO

• Indigo Basic I - Php 70,000 - Purchase price, Php 3,600 - Monthly service, Php 3,600 - Deposit
    Price includes outright purchase of Internet service equipment (satellite modem and dish). 18-month lock-up on service required. Asymmetric burstible up to 128 Kbps downlink/153.6 Kbps uplink. 1 Mb location for client’s website and 4 Mb mailbox for email at indigo.net.
  • Indigo Basic II - Php 20,000 - Lease price, Php 5,500 - Monthly service, Php 5,500 - Deposit
    Price includes lease of Internet service equipment (satellite modem and dish). 3-year lock-up on service required. Asymmetric burstible up to 128 Kbps downlink/153.6 Kbps uplink. 1 Mb location for client’s website and 4 Mb mailbox for email at indigo.net.
  • Indigo Dream I - Php 77,000 - Purchase price, 4,500.00 - Monthly service, 4,500.00 - Deposit
    Price includes outright purchase of Internet service equipment (satellite modem and dish) and Dream TV IRD (Nokia 8630). Asymmetric burstible up to 128 Kbps downlink/153.6 Kbps uplink. One satellite dish for both internet and Dream TV service. Dream TV service includes DreaMax channels plus full access to Pay Per View Dream Cinema Channels 1-4. 1 Mb location for client’s website and 4 Mb mailbox for email at indigo. net. Ph. 18-month lock-up on service required.
  • Indigo Dream II - Php 25,000 - Lease price, Php 6,500 - Monthly service, Php 6,500 - Deposit
    Price includes lease of satellite Internet equipment and Dream TV IRD (Nokia 8630). One satellite dish for Internet and Dream TV service. Asymmetric burstible up to 128 Kbps downlink/153.6 Kbps uplink. Dream TV service includes DreaMax Channels plus full access to Pay Per View Dream Cinema Channels 1-4. 1 Mb location for client’s website and 4 Mb mailbox for email at indigo. net. Ph. 3-year lock-up on service required.

DREAM VSAT PRICING PLANS

• DreamVsat - Package 1 - Outright purchase at Php 70,000 - Service Activation Fee, Php 15,000 - Monthly Charge, Php 15,000 - Service Deposit
    This package offers burstible to 256Kbps downstream & 153.6 upstream. They also offer 2 email addresses at 6 megs each. 18 month lock-up on service required.
  • DreamVsat - Package 2 - Lease of equipment at Php 30,000 - Service Activation Fee, Php 17,000 - Monthly Charge, Php 17,000 - Service Deposit
    This package offers burstible to 256Kbps downstream & 153.6 upstream. They also offer 2 email addresses at 6 megs each. 18 month lock-up on service required.
  • DreamVsat Plus - Package 1 - Outright purchase at Php 70,000 - Service Activation Fee, Php 30,000 - Monthly Charge, Php 30,000 - Service Deposit
    This package offers burstible to 512Kbps downstream & 153.6 upstream. They also offer 4 email addresses at 6 megs each. 18 month lock-up on service required.
  • DreamVsat Plus - Package 1 - Lease of equipment at Php 40,000 - Service Activation Fee, Php 32,000 - Monthly Charge, Php 32,000 - Service Deposit
    This package offers burstible to 512Kbps downstream & 153.6 upstream. They also offer 4 email addresses at 6 megs each. 18 month lock-up on service required.

I

this is a comment I found regarding one of the services.

(I not post the link as it would be advert for that OTHER forum)

For 128kbps down/64kbps up, monthly service fee is 6,400pesos for lease equipment. You still have to pay 48,800pesos for installation and deposit and advance one month fee and minimum contract is 1 year.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

I had heard that Satellite Internet was expensive but I didn't know the speed is so slow. I don't know how they could have any customers.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I had heard that Satellite Internet was expensive but I didn't know the speed is so slow. I don't know how they could have any customers.

Agree. Seems like only a last resort if all else fails!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Right. Satellite internet is the last option for remote areas where you must have internet but there are no other solutions.

The economics of satellite internet are not very good. A satellite is very expensive compared to copper wire or fiber. That is why the data rates or so limited.

Plus the satellite is in geosynchronous orbit 22K miles up... considering the signal has to go up and then back down, thats 44K miles at light speed...

much longer path to the internet than land based solutions... which the longest path is about half the circumference of the earth, or 24K miles divided by 2, or 12K miles... which increases the delay for using the internet.

• Like 1