Help! Getting From Northtown Residence To 3A Gen Maxilom Av To Work And Back

frugalfrog
Posted
Posted (edited)

My college-age daughter who has never been to Cebu before and doesn't speak a word of Tagalog or any other Filippino dialect will be ixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Ave for the next 5 to 6 weeks. She will be staying at a friend of a friend's xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and basically needs to get to work and back. I am assuming that she will need to arrive at work at approx 8.30 each day and leave by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've searched the internet but have not been able to find very much information on the following:

1. how bad is the rush hour traffic between these 2 places? In other words, what time does she need to leave Northtown Residences by each morning and how long to get home each evening?

2. If we were to assume that she travels by taxi, how much would each trip cost? According to Goggle Map, the distance is approx 8km and travel time is approx 15 minutes.

3. Other than taxis, would you recommend that she tries to travel by Jeepney or is that not too safe? I have been frequently told that my daughter is very attractive and I've heard of many girls who have been gropped in jeepneys.

4. What would be the easiest way for her to catch a cab each morning?

• Flag it down each morning? I'm not sure if taxis would be plentiful in xxxxxxxxxxxx - most probably not since most residents would have their own cars.
  • Are there taxi call services? Or will it be necessary for her to pre-book a taxi? Are there any additional charges for these services?
  • Can anyone recommend a driver who will be willing to pick her up each morning for the next 5 to 6 weeks. For her evening trip, I'm thinking it might be better if she just flags a taxi down after work each day instead of arranging a pre-arranged pick up time because that allows her some flexibility to either work late or else just hang out a bitl before going home.
  • How would a driver charge? Would it be the regular taxi fare (by meter) or would it be more or less?

She will be flying into Cebu in 24 hours and needs to be at work the very next day. All advice, recommendations will be very much appreciated. Thank you

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed info at request

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It looks to be a good distance from where she is coming to Gen Maxilom, also known as Mango Ave. The traffic is almost always bad on that road and rush hour is worse. I would guesstimate a taxi would be in the range of p140 - 160, maybe more. That is a rough estimate only. If it were my daughter and she was completely new she would be using a taxi only, especially since it's only 5 weeks. I can recommend a driver whom I know personally who is honest and trustworthy in every way. It's a taxi but the rate would probably be more if she needed to be picked up at a certain time every morning, how much more I don't know - if he can do it.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Frugalfrog,

The first thing that came to my immediate attention is for the safety of your daughter. Please try to establish

emergency contacts with her and her trusted friends. Develop a good rapport with at least one of her trusted

friends . Try to communicate at least once a day in order to know her whereabouts at all times. Instruct her

to use her cell phone discreetly and not to flash any jewelry and high value items like a laptop or camera.

Best of luck to you and your daughter. I'm sure she will have a great time!

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

frugalfrog
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dear MikeB and Jake

Thanks for all your input and your concern over the safety of my daughter. Yes, she will be carefully not to attract too much unwanted attention in terms of her cell phone, jewellery and laptop etc. MikeB, could you please let me have the tel no of the driver whom you are comfortable recommending? Again, thank you. I am also wondering if the travel time etc seems to be too much, do either of you have any impression of Hotel

I ask because the hotel is only 7 minutes walk from her work and it more affordable than most (approx P 716 per night for single +airconditioning) - unfortunately, an air-con option is much desired by my daughter. Only one of its many reviews in Agoda say it is" in a rough neighborhood which the taxi driver confirmed" but that was made by an American while none of the other reviewers made any comments. I'm Singaporean and in my experience, sometimes Americans who are not too familiar with Asia man mis-read the situation a little. I am wondering if this might be the case for Hotel Pier Cuator. Pls let me know if you have any opinions one way or another. Thank you again.

removed info by request

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had already PM'ed you with the contact # for the driver. You can check it in Personal Messenger under your profile. According to the map the place she will be working is on xxxxxxxx Extension which goes to near th xxxxxx which is where this hotel is located. I am not familiar with the hotel or that area too much, perhaps someone else is. The hotel has some good reviews on Trip Advisor, it's a budget hotel out of the way but near SM Mall which is one of the biggest in the city. I usually recommend the Premiere Citi Suites, it's fairly new and centrally located but this place could be fine for her needs and location.

removed info by request
  • Like 1

andre007
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dear MikeB and Jake

Thanks for all your input and your concern over the safety of my daughter. Yes, she will be carefully not to attract too much unwanted attention in terms of her cell phone, jewellery and laptop etc. MikeB, could you please let me have the tel no of the driver whom you are comfortable recommending? Again, thank you. I am also wondering if the travel time etc seems to be too much, do either of you have any impression of Hotel

I ask because the hotel is only 7 minutes walk from her work and it more affordable than most (approx P 716 per night for single +airconditioning) - unfortunately, an air-con option is much desired by my daughter. Only one of its many reviews in Agoda say it is" in a rough neighborhood which the taxi driver confirmed" but that was made by an American while none of the other reviewers made any comments. I'm Singaporean and in my experience, sometimes Americans who are not too familiar with Asia man mis-read the situation a little. I am wondering if this might be the case for . Pls let me know if you have any opinions one way or another. Thank you again.

Just my 2 cents. Some would say almost every neighborhood is rough. I live near City Lights Condo in Nivel Hills. City Lights is very expensive Condos. Very nice property but when you are outside of City lights well it's regular Cebu(Lahug). It is like the White House. When you walk 1 block away you will find the row houses..

I know the general area of Pier Cuatro which to me would only be considered bad because you are near the Pier area which bring many transients but it is no worse than any other place IMHO. It is close to SM which makes it good..

If they say the walk is 7 min to her job then it would be about a 1 or 2 minute Taxi ride and if she is unsure of herself and money is not a factor I would recommend taking a Taxi which should only be around 50 pesos. If she is adventurous then take a jeep at 8 pesos. I think most places are safe and as most has commented do not carry expensive items or wear Jewelry or just make yourself a target.

FYI: I have a 24 year old (cute) french teacher neighbor and she has been here for 4 months and loves the place for what it is. She has made some local friends and just try to fit it as much as possible.

• Like 2

frugalfrog
Posted
Posted

Mike B and Andre

Mike - thanks for the name and tel no of the driver and for your recommendation of Premier City Suites.

Andre - thanks and will keep your comme xxxxxxxxxxxxxx o in mind.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think the friend of a friend she is staying with will help her out and I'm sure the friend will speak English. Can I ask why your daughter is working there,seems unusual to me?

frugalfrog
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dear Jolly Good Fellow

My daughter has just finished her second year in Industrial Design. Because Industrial Design is such a wide field (popular sub-segments include packaging, furniture, toys, shoes - just to name a few), early exposure is EVERYTHING and very important to help students find out what they like or dislike about the design process. Though the sub-segments seems to be extremely dissimilar, the design process for each segment is a lot more similar than most would realize. For me, I would be satisfied if the internship can help my daughter lengthen and widen her horizons. My daughter is just extremely excited to be able to sit at the feet of such a xxxxxxxxxx for a period.

And yes, the friend and her husband are English speaking but I thought it best to be able to suss out the lay of the land a little before xxxx lands in Cebu and to know what her alternatives are if the transport situation gets too troublesome to manage. I am grateful to all for taking the trouble to write and for their kindness.

removed info by request
  • Like 2