Posted
Posted

The following news article is from the Philippine Daily Inquirer:

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/43393/naia-on-alert-for-mystery-disease

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

An update to this illness, it seems its not as bad as 1st thought, here is the latest info.

also make sure we/you/us keep our hands clean, clean hands prevent or at least reduce illness,,

AUTHORITIES have finally discovered the “mystery disease” in Cambodia.

It is a variation of the hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), called Enterovirus 71 (EV-71).

In a joint statement, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Cambodian Ministry of Health (MOH) disclosed that based on laboratory tests, several samples tested positive for EV-71, which causes HFMD.

“The EV-71 has been known to generally cause severe comp"another forum"ations among some patients,” said the statement.

Health authorities also noted that a number of infectious agents, including dengue and streptococcus suis, were identified in some samples.

Streptococcus suis is a peanut-shaped bacterium that is endemic in countries with an extensive hog industry. It may be transmitted from pigs to humans.

WHO and MOH said there are 59 confirmed cases of EV-71, with 52 dead.

WHO noted that HFMD is a common infectious disease of children under 10 years old.

Among the symptoms are fever, painful sores in the mouth, and a rash with blisters on hands, feet and buttocks.

WHO also said the HFMD virus is contagious and infection is spread by direct contact with nose or throat discharges, saliva, fluid from blisters, or the stool of infected persons.

WHO called on the public to be vigilant over possible symptoms of the disease. It said parents should seek medical advice if their children experience high fever, vomiting, lethargy and limb weakness.

It advised health professionals to treat patients according to their symptoms while refraining from using steroids.

Airport quarantine officials went on high alert yesterday, closely monitoring arriving passengers from Cambodia.

NAIA quarantine doctor Ali Agama said the emerging disease in Cambodia should be taken seriously.

“We have strengthened our surveillance and monitoring on all incoming passengers and if we find a person with fever, we will examine the person thoroughly, look at their history of travel abroad,” he said.

Part of the ongoing protocol is to give passengers with fever a checklist to fill up so that they could be monitored in the coming days.

Agama said an infected passenger will be referred to the Department of Health for possible confinement at the San Lazaro hospital or the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Alabang.

Agama appealed to the public to wash their hands with soap frequently, clean their surroundings and observe hygiene.

Health Secretary Enrique T. Ona instructed the Bureau of Quarantine at the NAIA to be more vigilant in carrying out routine screening at international passenger terminals.

“There are still no travel restrictions to and from the Kingdom of Cambodia,” Ona said. – With Jay Chua

http://www.malaya.com.ph/index.php/news/nation/8159-mystery-disease-identified

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It's good to hear that they finally figured out what was wrong with the kids... So many of them died!

I was starting to get worried about myself! I was sick for just over 2 weeks with the same symptoms as these kids had... Finally I'm starting to feel better!

• 3 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I was starting to get worried about myself! I was sick for just over 2 weeks with the same symptoms as these kids had... Finally I'm starting to feel better!

You in the Phils Bob ?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You in the Phils Bob ?

I wish! Still stuck in the Great White Nord... At least the weather has cooled off a bit - we were running higher temperatures with the humidiy than Cebu had for a couple weeks!