Dual Citizenship

slim
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know what my wife has to do when we get to the phils.to complete her dual citizenship?? The people at the Los Angeles office were the worst I have dealt with and would not offer any information what so ever so we would appreciate a little help and advice ? Thanks in advance

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife finished her dual citizenship at the San Francisco consulate. They were very professional. If your wife got her new Phil passport and took the oath then she is done. Nothing more to do when you get to the Philippines.A dual citizen will show her US passport when entering and leaving the US. And it's best for a dual citizen to show both US and Phil passports when entering and leaving the Philippines."Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenships are advised to present both their Philippine and foreign passports. Arrival details shall be stamped on both." ... "If the traveler fails to present both his Philippine passport or Identification Certificate, at both arrival and departure, he shall be assessed an Emigration Certificate of Clearance (ECC) fee of P710.00 for using a foreign passport upon departure." http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/dual...zenship_faq.htm

Edited by M.Morey

slim
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike for the info but the only thing she didn't do was change her Phiippine passport, it still has her family name and not her married name! Do you think that there will be a problem?

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)
Thanks Mike for the info but the only thing she didn't do was change her Phiippine passport, it still has her family name and not her married name! Do you think that there will be a problem?
A Phil consulate can amend a passport to reflect a name change. But your wife can't amend her Phil passport because it is no longer valid as I explain below.When your wife became a US citizen her Phil passport became invalid because she lost her Phil citizenship. So your wife applied to the consulate to reacquire her Phil citizenship and she took the oath and received a certificate. So now she is a Phil citizen again and it's just like she never lost her citizenship. However, that original Phil passport remains invalid. It would be to her advantage to apply for a new Phil passport. The San Francisco consulate was very efficient in issuing a new passport in conjuction with reacquiring Phil citizenship. We accomplished everything in one day.3. I am now a dual citizen ... how can I obtain a Philippine passport? Dual citizens who opt to apply for a new Philippine passport should present the original and submit a copy of the following:
  • Personal appearance, except for minors 8 years old and below and senior citizens 65 years old and above
  • Submit duly accomplished passport application form.
  • Two (2) identical photos taken within the last six months of size 4.5 cm by 3.5 cm on a Royal Blue background. Complete details on photo requirements for the MRP may be viewed at www.dfa.gov.ph/consular/PHOTO%20GUIDELINES.pdf.
  • Philippine passport or NSO certified birth certificate
  • Oath of Allegiance
  • For minor children, Report of Birth and Order of Approval of Filipino parent indicating child's name as derivative
  • USPS Express Mail Postage Stamps
  • The fee for the passport is $50.00. http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/passport.htm

Edited by M.Morey
  • Like 1

twostrokes
Posted
Posted
Does anyone know what my wife has to do when we get to the phils.to complete her dual citizenship?? The people at the Los Angeles office were the worst I have dealt with and would not offer any information what so ever so we would appreciate a little help and advice ? Thanks in advance
Everything already expressed by Mike answers the questions, but I had the exact opposite from the people in the Los Angeles office. We traveled from Texas to take care of the dual citizenship and they were extremely helpful and professional, polite and respectful. I was very impressed with the peoplel there even though we came in with full leathers on. (we went there on motorcycle from TX). Jim