Accidents Leave 4 Dead, 3 Hurt

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Just another story in the paper but it caught my eye because it was a 10 wheeler dump truck that almost killed me last Sept. Two innocent people, a 45 year old woman and her 10 month old granddaughter, mowed down because the brakes failed or driver recklessness, we don't know. The driver jumped on a southbound bus but later turned himself in. These speeding dump trucks scare me more then anything, far more then the buses. What a sad and tragic story.

http://www.sunstar.c...d-3-hurt-231505

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just another story in the paper but it caught my eye because it was a 10 wheeler dump truck that almost killed me last Sept. Two innocent people, a 45 year old woman and her 10 month old granddaughter, mowed down because the brakes failed or driver recklessness, we don't know. The driver jumped on a southbound bus but later turned himself in. These speeding dump trucks scare me more then anything, far more then the buses. What a sad and tragic story.

http://www.sunstar.c...d-3-hurt-231505

I think someone has to look into why these vehicles have these faults; can you blame a driver who is just that, the driver who needs to risk his life to feed the family.

Who owns them and who is responsible for maintenance?

So instead of a scape goat driver lets look further. :angry:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think someone has to look into why these vehicles have these faults; can you blame a driver who is just that, the driver who needs to risk his life to feed the family.

Who owns them and who is responsible for maintenance?

So instead of a scape goat driver lets look further. :angry:

I hope that happens but I'm doubtful. If it was a mechanical failure of course the driver is not at fault - unless he was aware of the problem but chose to drive anyway. It could have just been panic that caused him to jump on a bus and flee the accident. In the US, leaving the scene of an accident is a very serious crime in itself. But there was no mechanical failure on the one that hit me, he was speeding and driving recklessly and I have witnessed so many of them doing the same. After the fatal accident they say the brakes failed. When these huge Isuzu dump trucks are loaded and speeding there is no quick stop. There is another story further down about an accident on the SRP in Talisay, a man on a bicycle was killed by a truck. The driver said he hit the brakes in the rain and the truck slid sideways. I would like to see the tires on the truck. It's a deadly combination of lack of oversight, maintenance, and training, and driver recklessness.

"Accidents Leave 4 Dead, 3 Hurt" doesn't begin to tell the human tragedy. it's just a tiny story in the newspaper about other people you don't know - until it happens to you or someone you love.

Edited by MikeB
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
It could have just been panic that caused him to jump on a bus and flee the accident.

While learning to drive in the Philippines, the repeated mantra was, "Do not stop if you hit a child. Drive to the next town and surrender to the police." Fleeing the scene of the accident and surrendering later to the police avoids mob justice.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
It could have just been panic that caused him to jump on a bus and flee the accident.

While learning to drive in the Philippines, the repeated mantra was, "Do not stop if you hit a child. Drive to the next town and surrender to the police." Fleeing the scene of the accident and surrendering later to the police avoids mob justice.

Do not stop sounds like the common thing to do. When a truck ran us off the road he did not stop and lend any assistance. They claim he stopped at the police station and said he did nothing wrong. The way people handle differences of opinion there I could see why a person would leave the scene of an accident in fear of their own safety.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't think "justice" is the right word but I understand that and it's probably not considered a separate offense, as it is in other countries. So any evidence or witnesses are effectively eliminated so no investigation and everyone goes their separate ways except for the victims. The driver who hit me did not stop or even slow down. He later went to the police station and claimed I drove the motorbike into his 10 wheel dump truck. Right. The simplest investigation would have exposed that lie. Not even a ticket even though he was driving a Cebu Municipal truck w/expired registration. I'm just thankful I lived and I'm thankful FlyAway and his family walked away from their's. But it doesn't always happen and until someone is held responsible the situation will never change.

Edited by MikeB
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I hear the same mantra with one addition: Maybe its the NPA pushing the child/dog/old woman out into the street and if you stop they will rob or kill you. In truth, there are horror stories where such things did happen 20 years ago but today it is just an excuse to drive like a maniac.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

After reading all the above, I have to say I agree with each and every one of them! There needs to be a serious change in the civil and criminal responsibilities but I don't think that is ever going to change - at least not for a long time!

• Like 1