British Birdwatchers Likely To Flock Cebu

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I would bet that is just an excuse to come and watch the many beautiful women of Cebu. Heck, isn't the word bird slang for woman?? British birdwatchers likely to flock Cebu http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...bCategoryId=108

Markham
Posted
Posted
I would bet that is just an excuse to come and watch the many beautiful women of Cebu. Heck, isn't the word bird slang for woman?? British birdwatchers likely to flock Cebu http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...bCategoryId=108
Yes, Lee, "bird" is slang for "woman" but I think we can safely assume they're talking about ornithologists or "twitchers" - one of the more famous (in Britain, at least) is former comedy actor/writer Bill Odie (of the 1970s series "The Goodies").I am all in favour of encouraging tourists here who are not primarily visiting to take advantage of the abundance of women. If that means plane loads of "twitchers", then great! The Government needs to do more to encourage them and other adventure and eco-tourists and not to chisel every last peso they can out of them.For a start, Philippine Airlines needs to be encouraged to resume its Manila-London service since travelling here is very time-consuming and involves changing planes and/or carriers. A whole new industry of ground-handling is needed with the provision of safe, comfortable, air-conditioned four-wheel drives to take them to the best sites. The British - and other Europeans - prefer to pay one price for a complete "package deal" with flights, transfers, hotels and all ground arrangements (tours etc) included. There is a company doing this, but only for Russian visitors who come and leave on charter flights straight into Cebu.Signing a memorandum is all good PR for the Department of Tourism. Turning that into "bums on seats" is the challenge.Mark

til
Posted
Posted

I'm surprised bird watching and golf are categorized as "adventure tourism". But I guess anything else than eating, using the hotel pool or lying on the beach is an adventure nowadays.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I'm surprised bird watching and golf are categorized as "adventure tourism". But I guess anything else than eating, using the hotel pool or lying on the beach is an adventure nowadays.
With the NPA, MILF, and Abu-Syaaf running around in the forest here, I can see birdwatching as adventure tourism.