Social Security Woes

wayneseymour
Posted
Posted

I'm looking to cash in on any SS I may be entitled to..but here is my problem. I left the US in 1991 and have no W2's from that time(I'm terrible when it comes to these things ..so

Q: is there a arm of the SS agency(cant seem to find it on the net) that I may request old W2'2 that by chance may be archived?( I know if I were to ever commit a capital crime they (US) would know the name of my kindergarten teacher and what I had for lunch30 years ago in Florida at the local Denny's :)..) been out of the country so long and never ever put any thought to this stage of my life..sorry for being a pain guys..just reaching out for help.sorry.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I don't see why you would need old copies of your w2's. The SSA should still have you in their database with all those past "contributions" assigned to your account based on the data from your past employers.

Annually the SSA sends out a statement which lists the total "contributions" by year along with an estimate of your monthly benefits.

I would just contact the SSA and ask for an updated statement.

The real question... and not knowing what your individual situation is... please don't tell me... is whether you want to bring yourself to the attention of the SSA/IRS at this point in your life... especially if there might be past issues to resolve with them. Kind of the old saying... let sleeping dogs lie.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You can get all of your annual earnings statements online now and they recently added logins and passwords. I just signed up a few weeks ago. www.ssa.gov.

Wayne, she was Miss Carter and you had a BLT! matrix-smiley-001.gif

• Like 1

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

IRS will provide you a copy of your w2's older than 10 years for only $95 per year. (Hey, they got to retire the national debt) SSA.gov lists your earning on line for free. If there is a dispute on a yearly report, SSA will provide you with a copy of your w2 -- however the time limit for disputing a report is 3 years .. so whether they give you w2 from 20 years ago, who knows. You can get results from SSA, but it needs patience and persistence. Good luck.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Social Security benefits calculator won't work if you did not pay into the system for 40 quarters (equivalent to 10 years).

The 2012 maximum benefit at 66 years is $2,513. The 2012 average amount is $1,230.

Americano
Posted
Posted

You don't need any W2's to apply for Social Security retirement benefits. SSA should have all of your earnings recorded in their data base and can take your application over the phone. If living in the Philippines you could email SSA in Manila for a phone appointment date at fbu.manila@ssa.gov

I don't know which SSA office services Cayman Islands.

Here's the response I received:

If you were born in the US, then, we can take the application over the phone. You can send me another email around March next year for your appointment date.

Everly O. Patricio

Claims Examiner

American Embassy

SSA Manila

1201 Roxas Blvd.

Ermita

0930 Manila

Tel. 3012000 ext. 2459

Fax No. 522-1514

• Like 5

wayneseymour
Posted
Posted

You don't need any W2's to apply for Social Security retirement benefits. SSA should have all of your earnings recorded in their data base and can take your application over the phone. If living in the Philippines you could email SSA in Manila for a phone appointment date at fbu.manila@ssa.gov

I don't know which SSA office services Cayman Islands.

Here's the response I received:

If you were born in the US, then, we can take the application over the phone. You can send me another email around March next year for your appointment date.

Everly O. Patricio

Claims Examiner

American Embassy

SSA Manila

1201 Roxas Blvd.

Ermita

0930 Manila

Tel. 3012000 ext. 2459

Fax No. 522-1514

THANKS!!

wayneseymour
Posted
Posted

You can get all of your annual earnings statements online now and they recently added logins and passwords. I just signed up a few weeks ago. www.ssa.gov.

Wayne, she was Miss Carter and you had a BLT! matrix-smiley-001.gif

Who told you!!! rats found out again:)