Ssdi Disability

wayneseymour
Posted
Posted

Hi members I guess you guys are tired of me coming up with all these asinine questions but I need to know( no I haven't been living under a rock at least not for a while anyway) :bash: .

here goes: I haven't lived or worked in the US since 1991 and suffered a stroke last year in October..I am now wanting to file for SSDI before my move(???think that's the one???) :bash: anyway, anyone with like experiences or expertise? I know I have to go about proving disability and figure I will have to do at least 2 appeals(God ...I hope not).. but has anyone been through this?(whew that rock is heavy). oops sorry guys wrong post location forgive me (that darn rock!) Thanks,)go head kick me to the curb its OK) :buttkick:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

SSDI recipients must reside in the United States or its territories (Guam, American Samoa, etc.). If you are away for more than 30 days, the checks stop.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

SSDI recipients must reside in the United States or its territories (Guam, American Samoa, etc.). If you are away for more than 30 days, the checks stop.

Please forgive the correction my friend but it is SSI (Supplimental Security Income) that will cease after 30 days. SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) is based on your work record and is payable in The Philippines. If not so, who paid me the last 5 years living here?

I haven't lived or worked in the US since 1991 and suffered a stroke last year in October..I am now wanting to file for SSDI before my move(???think that's the one???) anyway, anyone with like experiences or expertise? I know I have to go about proving disability and figure I will have to do at least 2 appeals(God ...I hope not).. but has anyone been through this?(whew that rock is heavy). oops sorry guys wrong post location forgive me (that darn rock!) Thanks,)go head kick me to the curb its OK)

Wayne: Applying for SSDI can be a tedious process. It took me actually going to court to win and it was an 18 month process. If you want SSDI you best postpone coming here until you succeed and get your 1st payout. I wish you well sir....

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I agree Steve .... while I'm not sure about living outside the US (you apparently do if you are on SSDI) but to get it in the US if you are of working age you literately have to sue the government in order to get it ..... my next door neighbor there had crippling arthritis and had all his toes pined and could only hobble about and it was spreading to his hands ..... it took him almost 2 years to finally win his case .... but they did pay him all the back money's due him if I remember it correctly ..... but it's been a while .....

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
I haven't lived or worked in the US since 1991

Slim chance (as you may not have enough credit)

To collect since your NOT living NOR been residing in the USA for a long period of time,

for your questions PERHAPS you should seek a SSDI/SSI/SS forum to ask these questions

as some of OUR advice/information may not be 100% uptodate

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

HI Wayne .. I applied for and got SSDI for my wife. Here's what I learned. (1) If you are a US citizen, you can receive SS payments (any kind) if you live outside the US with the exception of a few counties -- Philippines is ok.

(2) To qualify for SSDI you have to be unable to have any gainful employment for the rest of your life..

(3) About 65% of all SSDI claims are rejected on first submission, but​ there is a reason for this. The applicant must prove with medical documentation that he/she is unable to do any work for the rest of their life. You will be rejected if you don't submit adequate documentation. My wife's application was accepted in 45 days because she was severely diabetic. She was unable to stand for more than an hour at a time. Unable to walk more than 100 yards. And due to her medication she was unable to stay awake for more than 3 or 4 hours at a stretch.

(4) If you are rejected, you can apply for a reconsideration. The SS office will state their reasons for rejection. Based on that letter, you can supply more documentation to answer their concerns. This is important: if you don't submit any new evidence, you'll be rejected again.

(5) If your reconsideration is rejected, you can ask for an appeal hearing.

Can this be done from the Philippines? Yes. The office of Veterans Affairs in the US Embassy Manila is the office to which you would submit the application.

What About the Appeals Hearings: You don't have to be present .. if some case a video session can be set-up.

Do you need a lawyer? (Personal Opinion) Not in the initial or reconsideration stages .. if you do your homework. A good lawyer can judge your application and tell you what documentation is needed ... a bad one will just take your money.

(Personal Opinion) .. Understand the eligibility requirement .. your disability must prevent you from being gainfully employed (in any job) now and for the rest of your life. The Social Security Website has all the info you need ... including the criteria they use in judging your app. Study that. Find which criteria apply to you and document it. The system is designed to weed out those that are ineligible. Don't submit an application until you have your documentation (waste of time) and when you have your evidence, ask your self if you were the examiner, have you proven your case. The eligibility requirement is very strict -- make sure you understand that -- or you are building up false hopes and wasting your time.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

One more little addition to my comment: (1) my experience may or may not be typical .. rejection rates depend upon the state in which you applied (2) while the application can be done from the Phils, that doesn't mean that's the best way to go. But if your choice is applying from Cayman Is or the Phils ... the Phils might be better since there are a large number of Filipinos who reside in the Phils and receive SS and SDDI .. but that's just my opinion. (3) don't make your plans depending on this source of income ... (4) I assumed in the Cayman IS you worked for an American company ... you will need 20 credited quarters in last 10 years to qualify .. if you don't have that .. then this is not going to work .. sorry.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Please forgive the correction my friend but it is SSI (Supplimental Security Income) that will cease after 30 days. SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) is based on your work record and is payable in The Philippines. If not so, who paid me the last 5 years living here?

You are right. Senior moment. I was thinking of the other one.

• Like 1