Long Term Visa Options

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am planning to retire to Philippines on Aussie pension, which is not quite enough for the retirement visa option I think, actual pension is about $1700 per mth, about about 70k pesos mth. I have some superannuation in Aussie but cannot access it at this stage. What are my other options, other than marriage which is not on the agenda for me. I do have a Filipino gf but she is teaching in Thailand. Any advice greatly appreciated.

luke
Posted
Posted

You don't need a "special retirement visa" (SRV if that is what you mean?) to stay in the PH. Just come on a tourist visa and extend every 2 months up to 2 years. If you don't like to leave the country after 2 years, address a letter to the BI commissioner stating the reason you don't want to (or can't) leave. When accepted the renewal procedure restarts for the next 2 years. The SRV also has a yearly "visitorial fee".

What is the maximum extension of stay that can be granted?

Foreigners holding temporary visitors visa pursuant to Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 and aliens admitted under E.O. 408 may extend their stay in the Philippines every 2 months for a total stay of 16 months. Extension of stay after16 months, up to 24 months need the approval of the Chief of the Immigration Regulation Division. Extension of stay after 24 months need the approval of the Commissioner. (MCL Memorandum dated 31 July 2007)

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=207&Itemid=37

Since your GF is in Thailand, why not join her there??

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just come on a tourist visa and extend every 2 months up to 2 years. If you don't like to leave the country after 2 years, address a letter to the BI commissioner stating the reason you don't want to (or can't) leave. When accepted the renewal procedure restarts for the next 2 years.

I've tried that, and it did not work. I know others who have tried that, and it did not work. In my experience no one stays on a tourist visa for more than two years without 'hanky panky'.

Can you give evidence to the contrary because it would be a shame to mislead the members.

Again, in my experience, everyone who tries to stay more than 16 months is subjected to irritating problems to encourage them to leave and come back before starting over. You mentioned the letter, there is also a need for an exit ticket now (verbal info from the fat guy at the desk at BI Mandaue) and the fees are higher after 16 months (my fees were 1000 a month more for motion to 'whatever')

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

You don't need a "special retirement visa" (SRV if that is what you mean?) to stay in the PH. Just come on a tourist visa and extend every 2 months up to 2 years. If you don't like to leave the country after 2 years, address a letter to the BI commissioner stating the reason you don't want to (or can't) leave. When accepted the renewal procedure restarts for the next 2 years. The SRV also has a yearly "visitorial fee".

What is the maximum extension of stay that can be granted?

Foreigners holding temporary visitors visa pursuant to Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 and aliens admitted under E.O. 408 may extend their stay in the Philippines every 2 months for a total stay of 16 months. Extension of stay after16 months, up to 24 months need the approval of the Chief of the Immigration Regulation Division. Extension of stay after 24 months need the approval of the Commissioner. (MCL Memorandum dated 31 July 2007)

http://immigration.g...d=207&Itemid=37

Since your GF is in Thailand, why not join her there??

Read the above from Bureau of Immigration and you see 16 months stay is the norm. Getting approval from Bureau of Immigration would require some serious documentation, why extension was needed.

Joining his gf in Thailand: Unless his Filipina gf has a work permit which most don't have, they usually don't be allowed to stay in Thailand more than 12-18 months.

$2150 is the minimum amount required by Thai Immigration for a single foreigner to obtain a NON O (retirement visa).

Alternative is 2 trips to Laos every year to obtain a double entry tourist visa, Then 2 border run to Cambodia every year. Then 2 visa extensions at Thai Immigration.

http://www.philippin...rs-in-thailand/

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

I am planning to retire to Philippines on Aussie pension, which is not quite enough for the retirement visa option I think, actual pension is about $1700 per mth, about about 70k pesos mth.

What are my other options, other than marriage which is not on the agenda for me. I do have a Filipino gf but she is teaching in Thailand. Any advice greatly appreciated.

A: If you choose to stay in Thailand with your filipina GF, tourist visa and visa runs will be your life, since you don't qualify for 'retirement visa'. (see my link in post #4)

B: do your gf have a work permit in Thailand? If not, she will not be able to stay there for years.

C: If she stop teaching in Thailand and return to PI, you can easy live on tourist visa for 16 months without visa runs.

After 16 months take a 1-2 days trip to Hong Kong, Thailand or wherever you prefer, and return to PI for another 16 months.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I am planning to retire to Philippines on Aussie pension, which is not quite enough for the retirement visa option I think, actual pension is about $1700 per mth, about about 70k pesos mth.

Maybe its best to check what your pension will be as it is reduced when living overseas as well as loss of benefits like pharmaceutical. Maybe this topic would interest you here,

• Like 1

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

I have only "known" 3 people who got approval to stay more than 16 months:-

• one got an approval for an extra one month and was required to pay 1010p for a "motion for reconsideration" on top of the visa extension fee.
  • one was allowed to stay for an extra 2 months because he was half way through applying for his 13a 'marriage" visa
  • the last was allowed to stay for over 36 months because they were unable to fly due to illness.

Of course there are probably ways around the law but after 16 months you should have a good reason to stay longer.

• Like 3