Naming Typhoons In The Philippines

banyanman
Posted
Posted

Does anyone else find it confusing that PAGASA gives typhoons and tropical storms a different name to their international names when it forms within or moves into Philippines territory? For example, when the local media were talking about tropical storm Helen recently, the international media were talking about Kai-Tak. And what is the purpose of the Philippines giving typhoons a different name?

I tried to find out the answer to that last question through some research on the Web, but without much success.

I did learn how the typhoons are given their international names in the Western Pacific Ocean. According to Wikipedia, they "are named from lists by the Regional Specialized Meteorological Centre in Tokyo, Japan, once they reach tropical storm strength. Names are contributed by members of the ESCAP/WMO Typhoon Committee. Each of 14 nations or territories submit 10 names, which are used in alphabetical order, by the English name of the country."

What's interesting is that the Philippines is one of the 14 countries in the region that submits names to the list, but even when the Philippines-submitted name is used (i.e. for every 14th typhoon), the Philippines still gives it a different 'domestic' name. So when Typhoon Maliksi reaches us later this year or early next year (the next one to be named off the Philippines contributed list), PAGASA will rename it Typhoon Nina. From what I can gather from my online research, the Philippines is the only country in the world that does this.

Can anyone enlighten me as why the Philippines needs to have different names? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the Government thinks Filipinos might have difficulty remembering or pronouncing some of the international submitted names (e.g. Haikui, Kirogi, Jalawat, Gaemi), and therefore prefer to use something more Filipino sounding (e.g. Yoyong, Ompong, Yoyoy, Dodong)

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Can anyone enlighten me as why the Philippines needs to have different names? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the Government thinks Filipinos might have difficulty remembering or pronouncing some of the international submitted names (e.g. Haikui, Kirogi, Jalawat, Gaemi), and therefore prefer to use something more Filipino sounding (e.g. Yoyong, Ompong, Yoyoy, Dodong)

My wife has a relative, now retired, who was a director with the Japan Metereological Center. I asked him at a family gathering about names for hurricanes and typhoons. You are correct. Each country is permitted to "localize" the name for the posting of bulletins and announcements.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Very good point! But with no logical answer as usual.

I have a suggestion,

They should name each Typhoon after one of the Dynasty Families that run the Philippines!!!

Because they do about the same amount of damage and keep doing it!

Because they somehow make money out of other peoples misfortunes!

Because the citizens of the Philippines have as much control over these families as they do of the Typhoons that hit the Philippines every year!!!

Oh, am I in trouble now!!!! :boohoo:

Papa Carl

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
They should name each Typhoon after one of the Dynasty Families that run the Philippines!!!

I like the suggestion from Papa Carl. Like vanity plates for cars, the wealthy families can get the typhoons named after them, in exchange for a substantial donation to a charitable organization. The more destructive power, the higher the prestige.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Personally I think typhoons should have one coded name only, say like TP567 then TP568 etc, that way no matter which country they have moved into we will all know where it started and ended.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

That Tom would be the best solution but I'm afraid the Phils would do exactly what it wants in regards to picking it's own name ..... kinda like marking it's own territory ..... I have to laugh each time I hear about something "entering the Philippine area of responsibility" like they can really do something about it as it is NOW THEIR RESPONSIBILITY ...... :hystery: :hystery: .....

Hummmmm was just wondering if some other countries property (like ships) was damaged while in the PAOR (Philippine Area Of Responsibility) could they sue the Phils because the Phils is responsible ..... :mocking: :thumbsup:

• Like 2