Urban Or Province Living

tiger31
Posted
Posted

I have lived on mactan island for the past 18 months and find the place to be a bit too busy and very populated ,very hot and dustynot what i,m used to.my question is to you guys as i,ve never been up the mountains is life there better than living in a city .there must be a few hill billies on this forum to give the rest of us an insight to what life is like out in the provences .?

wombatphil
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oy, I resemble that remark!!!

Mate, it's a toss up hey. If you're used to city life, you may very quickly be bored out of your brain with all the things there are to do on a farm... :) But then, a regional town might be better?

I dunno, but I reckon a bit of both could be a happy medium perhaps but, I think we all like to relax at home at night, which is familiar and comfy, so a back and forth existence might not be the go there?

But, if there is something to do everyday, something of real interest (no, not that ya mug, you'll go blind) then living in the Province could be quite enjoyable. I know you have a slight mobility problem and I think (from the point of view of my own disabilities) that city life is the go but get out and about and visit places outside that environment, on a regular basis.

Edited by wombatphil

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Most foreign residents seem to prefer either mountain or beach for their retirement. Mountains do not necessarily mean a remote, isolated area. There are a few places in the 1,000 to 2,000 feet above sea level that can be relatively close to a urban area. The higher elevation provides slightly cooler temperature and the topography of rolling hills increases the wind velocity. The greener zone is also cooler than urban concrete that absorbs heat. That concrete heat could take four hours after sunset to cool down.

My recommendation is to find a higher elevation place within a one to two hours travel time from a major shopping center that you like. If the location of the shopping center or mall is near the edge of a city, calculate the travel time from it. If you have medical issues, calculate the travel time to the nearest hospital.

tiger31
Posted
Posted

well now i know why people have there faces covered up here ,so much pollution from zillions of trycles ,dust etc lots of trash laying about ,yet some cities can be very clean .I was talking to an old italian guy who has been living in the philippines for 40 years ,first stop cebu then he moved to mactan island now he,s off to bohol .I asked him why he ,s moving he replied when he first came to cebu it was a nice place but he said its to over crowded now so he came to mactan now its the same thing to many people on a small island without proper road building programmes ,so he,s off to bohol his last move he said lol .

• Like 1

wombatphil
Posted
Posted

Most foreign residents seem to prefer either mountain or beach for their retirement. Mountains do not necessarily mean a remote, isolated area. There are a few places in the 1,000 to 2,000 feet above sea level that can be relatively close to a urban area. The higher elevation provides slightly cooler temperature and the topography of rolling hills increases the wind velocity. The greener zone is also cooler than urban concrete that absorbs heat. That concrete heat could take four hours after sunset to cool down.

My recommendation is to find a higher elevation place within a one to two hours travel time from a major shopping center that you like. If the location of the shopping center or mall is near the edge of a city, calculate the travel time from it. If you have medical issues, calculate the travel time to the nearest hospital.

Yeah, well when it comes down to it, everywhere on Cebu is within 2 hours of the big smoke. I live on the far side of Mactan (sea breezes, cleaner air) and it takes me no more than 1 hour and 40 minutes to get to Moal Boal for instance...

But Brian, I've heard a lot of good (and bad) reports on Bohol being nice, cleaner and comfy in the countryside... Might be worth a look and it's cheaper land, I believe, also.

• Like 2

shiredevon
Posted
Posted

Personally i like to live on the beach so i can enjoy a red horse on the balcony watching the sea, or have a dip,

Also air is cleaner, but i must add i'm only a short ride from town, if you can try to get a bit of both then you can choose where you wanna spend your day eh...

• Like 1