Disciplining A Child ....... Interesting Law If Passed

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Next time you yell or curse at a street kid trying to put his hand in your pocket ....... think twice ..... and remember this which just may become law ...... Other forms of corporal punishment include direct blows, cutting or piercing the skin of the child, dragging the child, indirectly hurting a child by using power, authority or threats, and confinement. Verbal assault, cursing and ridicule also fall under corporal punishment.http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/jail-time-spanking-children

Markham
Posted
Posted
Next time you yell or curse at a street kid trying to put his hand in your pocket ....... think twice ..... and remember this which just may become law ...... Other forms of corporal punishment include direct blows, cutting or piercing the skin of the child, dragging the child, indirectly hurting a child by using power, authority or threats, and confinement. Verbal assault, cursing and ridicule also fall under corporal punishment.http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/jail-time-spanking-children
A similar, but not as all-encompassing, law was passed in the UK which prohibited parents from using corporal punishment. The same law also strengthened existing legislation which banned its use in any school, state or private. I have a theory that such laws are proposed by people who have no children and therefore have not experienced the trials and tribulations of parenthood but seek to impose their will on everyone else in society.There have been a number of cases where teachers have been verbally-abused and even physically-harmed by pupils under the age of legal responsibility in the UK so that now schools hold the parents responsible for their children's behaviour.Very often a short, sharp shock is the optimal method of bringing a child under control. You can not reason with a young kid who throws a tantrum in a department store, for example. That said, I'm all against undue use of force and/or when "punishment" is exercised in a sexual context.Returning to this Bill, making it a criminal offence to scream at a child that's about to place him/herself - or anyone else - at danger, is frankly nonsensical. Wake-up Philippines and pass laws that help parents rather than hinder them. Or do you want future generations of Filipinos to lack respect for themselves, their fellow man and their country?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike, this is very useful information.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I agree Mark ........ in the US you as a parent are held responsible for the actions of your child no matter what he or she does ...... you can and will be prosecuted for any damage or law they break ....... that being said you can't provide any form of discipline that could be construed as violent ... demeaning ..... both physical as well as mental ...... even a "time-out" can be deemed as mental abuse ...... I could write a book about any ex-live-in and her 14 yo son ...... unbelievable .....

retired
Posted
Posted
Interesting post Mike . Turns out an incident happened her in Cagayan De Oro recently that may relate to this very topic .The US Embassy had sent a spokesperson here to CDO for a talk regarding US Military Expats and the meeting was held in an upscale hotel ( Price Plaza ) . Apparently during lunch a Filipino couple with a small child ( brat ) were not a part of the expat meeting but simply present in the eating area .One of the American expats approached the table and asked the Filipino couple if they could calm down the child as he/she was disrupting the speaker to where some could not hear him . The Filipino couple make a big scene and threathened to sue the American Expat for child abuse. Now granted the expat is a big guy and ex marine at that so maybe his sheer size and the tome of his dispilinary voice struck a chord ? The expat shrugged it off but i am told his Filipina wife is now scared to death they will be sued and her husband deported . In the end just another example of sh&tty Philippine laws that tend to be used to discriminate against non - Filipinos ?

Markham
Posted
Posted
The US Embassy had sent a spokesperson here to CDO for a talk regarding US Military Expats and the meeting was held in an upscale hotel ( Price Plaza ) . Apparently during lunch a Filipino couple with a small child ( brat ) were not a part of the expat meeting but simply present in the eating area .One of the American expats approached the table and asked the Filipino couple if they could calm down the child as he/she was disrupting the speaker to where some could not hear him . The Filipino couple make a big scene and threathened to sue the American Expat for child abuse. Now granted the expat is a big guy and ex marine at that so maybe his sheer size and the tome of his dispilinary voice struck a chord ? The expat shrugged it off but i am told his Filipina wife is now scared to death they will be sued and her husband deported . In the end just another example of sh&tty Philippine laws that tend to be used to discriminate against non - Filipinos ?
You may have a valid point there! I think it's highly likely that if a Filipino had approached the couple and asked them to control their child, he would have received a completely different reaction. The couple's over-reaction is another example of foreigner-discrimination which seems rife in certain quarters.The failure of parents to control their children - particularly male children - is evident everywhere you look here - and it's nothing short of rudeness and disrespect. Last evening, Bob Ward and I went to a nice but inexpensive Filipino restaurant here in Cebu (Golden Cowrie on Salinas Drive) with our SOs. Shortly after we sat down, a family arrived with half-a-dozen children and sat at the next table. Each of the children had MacDonalds "Happy Meals" and I don't believe the adults ordered anything other than drinks. The brat behind me kept pushing his chair against the back of mine making it difficult for me to eat. And the noise they made made it more difficult to hold a conversation. They ruined what should have been an enjoyable evening for us.