Cebu The 2Nd Time Around--An Introduction

franknyc
Posted
Posted

Hello all! long time lurker here. I'm set to retire with a government pension in just a few years (30 months, +-), and I'm re-examining other locations within the Philippines where I can enjoy my modest pension. During the past 18 years I've vacationed in the Manila area (with jaunts to Boracay) almost every year, for a month or more each time. My problem now is that the Metro Manila area has gotten too expensive--not to mention congested and polluted--that I don't think my pension will allow me to live the life I want.

All my years visiting the Philippines, I have never been to Cebu! Hence, the title of my thread, Cebu the 2nd time around. You see, I made the move once before, over two decades ago, in Quezon City. After a year-and-a-half, money became tight and I headed back home; thankfully, I landed a decent government. With a small pension and savings I should be better-off this time around:-)

Hoping to make the jump soon!

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Hello and Howdy & welcome here Frank!

30 months or so huh?...fan-philippines-tastic!

I am only 1052 days away myself...not that I am counting or anything *now where did I leave my calculator*...

I was a lurker for a long time and now that I have come out in the light I have found this forum to be well run and populated by like-minded folks.

Please be sure to join in on the comments oe start a topic when you can and if you have any questions, one of the forum support gurus or the forum jefe will be front and center to lend support.

Cheers~~

-marshall

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Frank!

Many of our members live in the Cebu area though it is getting a little more expensive now too - just not as bad as the big city up north! In fact that this going to be my destination for the first couple years as well. If you can do it in Manila, you can pretty well do it in Cebu too. There are many great posts on costs and what is available and where... Just dig in when you have the time and you will learn much more than we can tell you in one single post. And, one of the nice things about not being able to own land? It makes it easier to pack up and move when you find the place that screams out at you "THIS IS HOME"! Mind you, the "View New Content" tab is great for keeping up to date on what everybody is currently talking about.

:welcome:

franknyc
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the welcome, Marshall and Bob! Bob, I hear you about the land issue; no problem since I am a nomad at heart. I see myself possibly moving from place-to-place once I get there. Just a few years ago I was consideringToronto! (would not be able to take the winters, though) and I also lived in Thailand for 7 months many years ago.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Toronto is nice but I get enough of it just by looking across the lake.... ! It's about 40 minutes from where I live now around the tip of Lake Ontario. I am sure you will enjoy the Philippines much more!