Toughest Place To Be A Bus Driver...

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

You guessed it...Manila, Philippines

This is an episode from a BBC TV series. It is worth the time investment ~ bookmark it for a later watch ~

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

I watched it several months ago....pretty good show. The driver from England must have memories that will last forever. No way I would want to drive in Manila....much less operate a jeepney.

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

...I agree...the guy from London got a dose of the real world to be sure...I have admit even with my experiences in PI, I was moved by some of the situations...especially the part about the re-use of food that had been tossed out....and driving in PI...no way I am going to tackle that...I don't have the skills necessary...

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Driving in Manila reminds me of driving through the Niagara Falls tourist area in the summer. It's 90% tourists on the road so they make it up as they go. Manila? I could handle it ok once I learn my way around the streets - but I couldn't handle the poverty. Where his host family lived was ok... I have experienced much worse. But the slums are well beyond anything I can imagine on my own. When they showed his old home in the province, it was such a change in contrast.... so beautiful!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It is interesting how they start the show by showing the sanity of London roads. This was followed by showing pff his modern two decker bus and all the electronics. I was already laughing my head off knowing what a Jeepney is like and the driving situation in Manila.

I have driven in England only once. We had rented a large camper (RV) in Germany, which was the size of a commercial van. No problem driving for seven months in Continental Europe. England on the other hand was terrible. Everyone drives on the wrong side of the road! What made it more difficult is my driver's seat was on the left side. Never again!

This summer, my daughter-in-law wanted to tour Ireland for one week by car. I warned her about it, but she insisted. Our son had a three weeks work assignment in Bristol, so my suggestion was to hire a car for one weekend. She did not know how to get out of the round-abouts. They decided to see Ireland from the comfort of a tourist bus.

• Like 2