Invasion

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The Aussies are comingI never knew there was a limit in passenger seatsManila - The Philippines and Australia have signed a new air service agreement that raises the number of flights and airline seats between the two countries, the Australian ambassador said Thursday. Under the agreement signed on March 13, Philippine and Australian airlines are now able to offer up to 4,000 seats each way per week from the previous limit of 2,500 seats. Over time, and in response to demand, the new limit could be increased to 6,000 seats, said Australia's ambassador to Manila, Rod Smith. Australian and Philippine airlines may also now operate unlimited services to regional airports, Smith said. 'The new arrangements are a good example of Australia and the Philippines working together to liberalize the international aviation to benefit the travelling public, the tourism industry and airline carriers in both Australia and the Philippines,' he said.Last year, more than 300,000 people travelled between the two countries. Australia is one of the top five sources of tourists for the Philippines along with the United States, China, South Korea and Japan. Smith said Australia and the Philippines also signed an agreement that would allow dependents or spouses of diplomatic and consular personnel to seek remunerated employment in one another's countries.

retired
Posted
Posted
The Aussies are comingI never knew there was a limit in passenger seatsManila - The Philippines and Australia have signed a new air service agreement that raises the number of flights and airline seats between the two countries, the Australian ambassador said Thursday. Under the agreement signed on March 13, Philippine and Australian airlines are now able to offer up to 4,000 seats each way per week from the previous limit of 2,500 seats. Over time, and in response to demand, the new limit could be increased to 6,000 seats, said Australia's ambassador to Manila, Rod Smith. Australian and Philippine airlines may also now operate unlimited services to regional airports, Smith said. 'The new arrangements are a good example of Australia and the Philippines working together to liberalize the international aviation to benefit the travelling public, the tourism industry and airline carriers in both Australia and the Philippines,' he said.Last year, more than 300,000 people travelled between the two countries. Australia is one of the top five sources of tourists for the Philippines along with the United States, China, South Korea and Japan. Smith said Australia and the Philippines also signed an agreement that would allow dependents or spouses of diplomatic and consular personnel to seek remunerated employment in one another's countries.
What's interesting to me about the above agreement is the part about allowing dependents or spouses of diplomatic & consular personnel to work in the host country . Now , i can certainly see where that would be advantagous to the Filipino given Australian wages . But how many Aussie dependents would want to work in the Philippines given Philippine wages ? :-)Seems to me more like another attempt by the Philippine gov . to increase it's OFW quotient . :AddEmoticons04230:

TheMason
Posted
Posted
What's interesting to me about the above agreement is the part about allowing dependents or spouses of diplomatic & consular personnel to work in the host country . Now , i can certainly see where that would be advantagous to the Filipino given Australian wages . But how many Aussie dependents would want to work in the Philippines given Philippine wages ? :-)Seems to me more like another attempt by the Philippine gov . to increase it's OFW quotient . :AddEmoticons04230:
I wonder how a dependent is defined for employment purposes. I don't know the intent of the agreement, but anyone needing to curry favor with an Aussie or Filipino diplomat/consular official can now legally employ their spouse or dependent. Seems like a situation ripe for abuse to me.