The Ranch Updated

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

:7_4_17[1]:

A year and a half ago there was a forum get together at the Ranch Restaurant in Banilad, Cebu. To refresh some memories, Here is a link to the thread along with some pictures one member posted.

http://www.philippin..._156#entry38182

On my first visit there in a year and a half I was impressed that they are still going strong and have even improved the place by adding more outside seating and live music on Friday and Saturday evenings. The meals are down home cooking like mother used to make. The Ranch is run by an American expat and his wife, (James and Elvie) and their daughter makes frequent appearances. Elvie is filipina but has been cooking US style down home meals for many years. We'll give them a pass on using Aussie beef as US beef is hard to get here but either one is much better than local beef.

So food is great, prices are great, atmosphere is great, owners are great, entertainment is good.

Now remember I have been accused of having 'provincial taste' so if you are looking for something overpriced and pretentious then the Ranch is definitely not for you. For that you should go to . . . um . . well there are other threads about those types of restaurants.

:36_6_3[1]: :hystery:

Edit: Getting there. Taxis are not always familiar with it so, coming from anywhere in Cebu city, tell the driver to head for Banilad. Go past Country Mall. Go over the flyover and then immediately watch for the pedestrian overpass. Pull over to the right at the pedestrian overpass and you will see the Ranch there. (Alternatively the driver can go up A.S. Fortuna and turn right at the aforementioned flyover, at which point you would be just about at the pedestrian overpass/Ranch.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

:7_4_17[1]:

A year and a half ago there was a forum get together at the Ranch Restaurant in Banilad, Cebu. To refresh some memories, Here is a link to the thread along with some pictures one member posted.

http://www.philippin..._156#entry38182

On my first visit there in a year and a half I was impressed that they are still going strong and have even improved the place by adding more outside seating and live music on Friday and Saturday evenings. The meals are down home cooking like mother used to make. The Ranch is run by an American expat and his wife, (James and Elvie) and their daughter makes frequent appearances. Elvie is filipina but has been cooking US style down home meals for many years. We'll give them a pass on using Aussie beef as US beef is hard to get here but either one is much better than local beef.

So food is great, prices are great, atmosphere is great, owners are great, entertainment is fair. (An Aussie singer with a great voice trying to do country. He did a fair job of it but he's no Randy Travis.)

Now remember I have been accused of having 'provincial taste' so if you are looking for something overpriced and pretentious then the Ranch is definitely not for you. For that you should go to . . . um . . well there are other threads about those types of restaurants.

:36_6_3[1]: :hystery:

Edit: Getting there. Taxis are not always familiar with it so, coming from anywhere in Cebu city, tell the driver to head for Banilad. Go past Country Mall. Go over the flyover and then immediately watch for the pedestrian overpass. Pull over to the right at the pedestrian overpass and you will see the Ranch there. (Alternatively the driver can go up A.S. Fortuna and turn right at the aforementioned flyover, at which point you would be just about at the pedestrian overpass/Ranch.

As some would know, we have had two forum party's there and had a good time with both.

From memory the menu has a wide choice and daily specials but also something for the simple Filipina and the Green tea is um; green tea. :hystery:

• Like 3

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

We were there with Dave on Friday and had a great night.

Elsa and I were nearly the last to leave - Dave WAS the last to leave!

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Dave WAS the last to leave!

Dave was doing a resturaunt review as that's what we pay him for. :) I sort of remember the last forum doo there, Elvie put me in the taxi as I was the last to leave and then I ended up at some bar where I fell down the steps but you get that when going blind. Or was that I was blind :89:

Seriously The Ranch is a good place to enjoy a night out and food is good too.

• Like 2

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

I checked out the pics and it sure looks like fun was had by all. Hopefully I will be

in the Philippines for the next get together.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

I have heard good things about the Ranch too, pass by it almost every day. Sorry we didn't hear about the GT & missed it. Oh well, we'll look forward to another one.